GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This summer I am supporting the Race Across America (RAAM) bike race. Leaving middle of June, it will be ~10 days to go from San Diego to Baltimore, keeping moving 24/7. Well, the race keeps going, I will be stopping to sleep.

When I'm done with my official race duties in Baltimore (ok, Annapolis to be more precise), I'll have between 7-12 days to get myself back home to SE Washington state. The time difference is depending on when I actually get to Annapolis and how long I'm there before the race organizers are 'done' with me.

So... 7-12 days to drive one of the northern routes across country during the last week of June through July 4th.

What are some places, things, sights, people, whatever that you think should not be missed? Preferably of the 'undiscovered' type. What places should I not even bother with?

The only thing on my short list is a drive through Yellowstone. I may also hit up Rushmore and Crazy Horse, and perhaps Devil's Tower while I'm in the area.

Edit add: I'm doing the drive in my ProMaster van, converted to RV, so no hotels or even campgrounds required

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I like to take road trips! Places to visit/drive through: Bad Lands, SD; Sturgis, SD (get a rib-eye steak at Rosco’z Steakhouse, 976 Lazelle Street. I was told by my server that the owner raises his own beef. Very tasty. You can gas up at the Phillips 66 gas station next door.) Of course, Rapid City and Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse and Devil’s Tower (be sure to stop and visit the prairie dog village on the road to the Tower ;-) . Definitely Yellowstone (don't forget to watch Old Faithful!) If you go to Bozeman, MT, you might try eating at Montana Ale Works, 611 E Main Street. It seemed very popular with the locals when I ate there with my grandson.

I didn’t make it to Glacier National Park during the 2015 road trip. The last time was on the 1999 road trip. I understand that the glaciers have diminished greatly, so you may not see much of them, but the mountain views are breath-taking. The route from there to Coeur d’Alene, Idaho is fun to drive, especially in a road car like the Volt.

I’m sure that others can add their experiences. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I like to take road trips! Places to visit/drive through: Bad Lands, SD; Sturgis, SD (get a rib-eye steak at Rosco’z Steakhouse, 976 Lazelle Street. I was told by my server that the owner raises his own beef. Very tasty. You can gas up at the Phillips 66 gas station next door.) Of course, Rapid City and Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse and Devil’s Tower (be sure to stop and visit the prairie dog village on the road to the Tower ;-) . Definitely Yellowstone (don't forget to watch Old Faithful!) If you go to Bozeman, MT, you might try eating at Montana Ale Works, 611 E Main Street. It seemed very popular with the locals when I ate there with my grandson.

I didn’t make it to Glacier National Park during the 2015 road trip. The last time was on the 1999 road trip. I understand that the glaciers have diminished greatly, so you may not see much of them, but the mountain views are breath-taking. The route from there to Coeur d’Alene, Idaho is fun to drive, especially in a road car like the Volt.

I’m sure that others can add their experiences. Enjoy!
Many years ago I drove through Montana, and we visited the site of Custer's last stand. Also the area around Hungry Horse Dam is beautiful.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I hope you get more than the 7 days. I think it would take about 5 days just to drive straight through without seeing anything. I don't have any specific sights to recommend, but if it were me I would choose the two lane roads as opposed to the 4 lane divided interstate highways whenever it is reasonable to do so. Much more interesting that way.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah, forgot to add that I'm not driving the Volt for this, I'll be in my ProMaster van, not quite as fun on the twisties, but I do have the advantage that I have set it up as an RV. Being self contained, I'll stop anywhere for the night, no campground needed (and seldom used).

I hope you get more than the 7 days. I think it would take about 5 days just to drive straight through without seeing anything. I don't have any specific sights to recommend, but if it were me I would choose the two lane roads as opposed to the 4 lane divided interstate highways whenever it is reasonable to do so. Much more interesting that way.
I am hoping for closer to 10 days, but just don't know yet. Also, the whole sightseeing thing on the way home may go right out the window. I will have been on the road for two weeks prior to this for the race, so I'll either be wanting to boogie my butt straight home, or want to short drives and relax as much as possible. Really don't know. I've done drives to/from CA to MO many times, but those were just 4-5 days. Not four weeks.

If you're coming through Minnesota, consider a side trip to Itasca State Park, where you can walk across the Mississippi river at its source.
Hadn't thought of heading that far north, but its a possibility.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts