GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Cars need to have cameras to detect and adjust. I find it takes about six months for Google Maps to update speed limit changes and temporary construction limits are almost never reflected. Also, I-70 through the Colorado Rockies has a variable speed limit depending on weather and road conditions. The speed limit signs are electronic and CDOT can and does change them as needed.
... I'm confused. How does any of this matter? Driver should still be aware enough to slow down if there's a temporary lower limit, but none of that affects that the car has enough to know that there's a maximum usual and customary speed limit, what it is, and programmatically CANNOT be set to exceed that usual and customary limit.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Running red lights, mowing down bicyclists, rear-ending other cars, there is no end to the freedoms that will be taken away! :)
I am perfectly okay with the car programmatically avoiding those things too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
True, but it'll cost them.
Yes, no, maybe. I personally know of a semi-successful local contractor who had four DUI accidents, never went to jail, kept driving vehicles registered to friends and family. He rear-ended a friend of mine, totaling the car. When authorities were asked why this was allowed to continue, "It costs money to put him in jail and when he's out, he's hiring, paying wages and only averages a DUI accident every 2-3 years."

jack vines

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Yes, no, maybe. I personally know of a semi-successful local contractor who had four DUI accidents, never went to jail, kept driving vehicles registered to friends and family. He rear-ended a friend of mine, totaling the car. When authorities were asked why this was allowed to continue, "It costs money to put him in jail and when he's out, he's hiring, paying wages and only averages a DUI accident every 2-3 years."

jack vines
An answer like that should cost someone their job. What happens if during one of his future DUIs he kills someone?

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
An answer like that should cost someone their job. What happens if during one of his future DUIs he kills someone?
I would have been going after the District Attorney for legal malfeasance.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
... I'm confused. How does any of this matter? Driver should still be aware enough to slow down if there's a temporary lower limit, but none of that affects that the car has enough to know that there's a maximum usual and customary speed limit, what it is, and programmatically CANNOT be set to exceed that usual and customary limit.
When the usual and customary speed limit is 70 MPH (posted is 65) and the road ices over, the speed limit can drop all the way to 30 on I-70. If an autonomous vehicle doesn't see this and is then in an accident due to excessive speed, who's at fault? The vehicle manufacturer or the driver. Now what if the vehicle doesn't have driver controls?

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
When the usual and customary speed limit is 70 MPH (posted is 65) and the road ices over, the speed limit can drop all the way to 30 on I-70. If an autonomous vehicle doesn't see this and is then in an accident due to excessive speed, who's at fault? The vehicle manufacturer or the driver. Now what if the vehicle doesn't have driver controls?
I am, again, confused about HOW THIS MATTERS to the question of whether manufacturers should be obliged to do what they are technically capable of (limit autonomous operation to not exceed the static posted maximum speed limit for a section of road) in the interest of making autonomous operation operate within legal limits. It's really a simple question: Should manufacturers be required to limit their products to lawful use WHERE THEY CAN EASILY DO SO or not?

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I am, again, confused about HOW THIS MATTERS to the question of whether manufacturers should be obliged to do what they are technically capable of (limit autonomous operation to not exceed the static posted maximum speed limit for a section of road) in the interest of making autonomous operation operate within legal limits. It's really a simple question: Should manufacturers be required to limit their products to lawful use WHERE THEY CAN EASILY DO SO or not?
If you are attempting to build a fully autonomous car, then the answer is yes. If you're just adding driver assistance features, then the answer is no.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Theory: first EV drivers were either wealthy (Telsa) or environmentally conscious. In general, neither of these groups drive with abandon. More electrics are hitting the streets, and soon the psycho pickup and SUV drivers will be in electric vehicles. Bad drivers will have more acceleration than ever and will soon be on our asses swerving back and forth and unnecessarily blowing past us, but with even more opportunity for error (safety systems better then gas counterparts but greater speed will probably negate these capabilities). There will be a period where road rage will increase, at least until mass self-driving reduces the issue. They will take advantage of the self-driving safety systems, confidently swerving around and cutting in front of self-driving vehicles because they know the safety systems will always "back off." Until steering wheels are eliminated, aggrieved drivers may turn off the self-driving and give chase, traveling with new concepts of acceleration, dragging us into ever more dangerous situations. Can't wait for the F-150 lightning and Cybertruck! OK I may be overstating this dystopian view but I do worry about bad drivers having ever greater capabilitiy for harm. Although the mass adoption of EV's will generally be awesome - cleaner air, quieter streets and highways, overall increased safety, possibility to remove sound barrier walls along the highway - I still predict the above increase in road rage. Hope I'm wrong.

This makes me think about 2 ways: first, in my home state of TX any idiot can carry a gun and road rage shootings are EXTREMELY common…we already have enough road rage incidents and it is hard to imagine it getting worse.
Secondly, your outlook makes me wonder if Mad Max is just around the corner and soon we’ll all be eating Soylent Green.

·
Administrator
21,120 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Insurance companies can already monitor your driving if you want to lower your rate.

As for speeding, I don't know why they don't use E-ZPass to hand out fines. They know when you cross each checkpoint. Do the math and send the fine. I guess then the rich will basically pay for speeding.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Theory: first EV drivers were either wealthy (Telsa) or environmentally conscious. In general, neither of these groups drive with abandon. More electrics are hitting the streets, and soon the psycho pickup and SUV drivers will be in electric vehicles. Bad drivers will have more acceleration than ever and will soon be on our asses swerving back and forth and unnecessarily blowing past us, but with even more opportunity for error (safety systems better then gas counterparts but greater speed will probably negate these capabilities). There will be a period where road rage will increase, at least until mass self-driving reduces the issue. They will take advantage of the self-driving safety systems, confidently swerving around and cutting in front of self-driving vehicles because they know the safety systems will always "back off." Until steering wheels are eliminated, aggrieved drivers may turn off the self-driving and give chase, traveling with new concepts of acceleration, dragging us into ever more dangerous situations. Can't wait for the F-150 lightning and Cybertruck! OK I may be overstating this dystopian view but I do worry about bad drivers having ever greater capabilitiy for harm. Although the mass adoption of EV's will generally be awesome - cleaner air, quieter streets and highways, overall increased safety, possibility to remove sound barrier walls along the highway - I still predict the above increase in road rage. Hope I'm wrong.
Maybe it's because I live in Southern California, the Tesla capital of the world, but I have regularly seen Tesla drivers at extra-legal speeds making questionable maneuvers for years now. Not as many as Mercedes, BMW, Charger or Challenger drivers, but still...

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
EV drivers are likely to keep speeding around because it's easy when you are that fast. But as more and more EVs proliferate and are equally fast, it's going to get harder to keep up. The EV pickups in particular are going to get crazy.

·
Registered
2018 Volt
29 Posts
Well put!!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts