GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Theory: first EV drivers were either wealthy (Telsa) or environmentally conscious. In general, neither of these groups drive with abandon. More electrics are hitting the streets, and soon the psycho pickup and SUV drivers will be in electric vehicles. Bad drivers will have more acceleration than ever and will soon be on our asses swerving back and forth and unnecessarily blowing past us, but with even more opportunity for error (safety systems better then gas counterparts but greater speed will probably negate these capabilities). There will be a period where road rage will increase, at least until mass self-driving reduces the issue. They will take advantage of the self-driving safety systems, confidently swerving around and cutting in front of self-driving vehicles because they know the safety systems will always "back off." Until steering wheels are eliminated, aggrieved drivers may turn off the self-driving and give chase, traveling with new concepts of acceleration, dragging us into ever more dangerous situations. Can't wait for the F-150 lightning and Cybertruck! OK I may be overstating this dystopian view but I do worry about bad drivers having ever greater capabilitiy for harm. Although the mass adoption of EV's will generally be awesome - cleaner air, quieter streets and highways, overall increased safety, possibility to remove sound barrier walls along the highway - I still predict the above increase in road rage. Hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah.

I'm not looking for artificial intelligence in the cars as much as I am intelligence in the drivers. The other day, in 4 lanes of moderate traffic, a Charger blew past me so fast that I could hardly see the color of the car. We were all going 80 mph (128 kph). Deity only knows how fast he was going. Had anybody changed lanes in front of him, there woulda been a whole bunch of dead and wounded.

No matter the technology, idiots are idiots. I hope it doesn't get any worse. But it probably will.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Yeah.

I'm not looking for artificial intelligence in the cars as much as I am intelligence in the drivers.
Amen, brother! The smarter they make the cars, the dumber the drivers get.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The technology to reduce aggravated driving exists, it is just a matter of using it or allowing it to be used. Our society is established in our laws...break the law, pay the price. When people aquire driving licenses, a system of conditions are accepted, based upon the safety of the license holder and other licensed drivers. The only thing preventing that Charger driver from getting a knock on his door is the rights and freedoms enshrined (and fought for) in our own laws. When the vehicle records excess speeds on public roadways, why can it not apply a limit (like valet mode)? The dangerous driver must be taught a lesson the easy way where no one is hurt.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I'm not looking for artificial intelligence in the cars as much as I am intelligence in the drivers.
One of my college textbooks was titled "Artificial Intelligence meets Natural Stupidity". We're seeing this in the increasing capability of driver assist systems.

• Haha
Reactions: JuneBug and arbus

·
Administrator
21,126 Posts
I really hate where we are with "self driving" systems in cars. None are self-driving. The fine print is that they expect the driver to be paying attention and be ready at all times to take over when the so-called self-driving feature fails in some way. Of course, that not how it works in real life. Drivers get lulled into reading a book, watching a movie, working on their compute, even climbing into the passenger or back seat. Anything but being alert and in control.

This is why you see Tesla's on "AutoPilot" driving full speed into a stopped car, over turned truck, etc. The driver has abdicated their responsibility under the false impression the car has level 5 autonomy. I'm not sure about road rage, but I fear there will be more accidents in certain scenarios.

Their are ways to help reduce the issue by having a system like Cadillac's SuperCruise that actively monitors the driver's engagement and shuts down when a distracted driver is identified.

Reactions: RCB268

·
Registered
69 Posts
There is no way in this world that I would ever let go of the steering wheel, no matter what level automation the car possessed. I spent my career working with technology and know just how stupid it can be. I’ll never trust it with my life, even if others risk it by using those systems.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Maybe technology and laws will meet. Travel down the highway 10 over no problem maybe. Travel 20 over and your car reports you for excessive speeding, reckless driving at so and so highway location at time and date for how many miles. You get a ticket from the state that must be paid by x date or they impound your car and also a letter from your insurance agent increasing or dropping your coverage. Of course it would have to know it was you driving and not your 18 year old kid. That is coming too. Press your thumb on the touch screen please.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
In theory a completely automomous car is going to have to obey all the traffic laws. I can see some getting very frustrated with obeying speed limits, traffic lights, stop signs...

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
You get a ticket from the state that must be paid by x date or they impound your car and also a letter from your insurance agent increasing or dropping your coverage. Of course it would have to know it was you driving and not your 18 year old kid. That is coming too. Press your thumb on the touch screen please.
Thing is lack of insurance coverage doesn't always prevent someone from driving. Niether does a suspended or lack of a license, or lack of a motor vehicle registration.

·
Registered
538 Posts
In theory a completely automomous car is going to have to obey all the traffic laws. I can see some getting very frustrated with obeying speed limits, traffic lights, stop signs...
I know exactly the driver's you are referring to! Around here, a stop sign might as well be a "yield" sign.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Maybe technology and laws will meet. Travel down the highway 10 over no problem maybe. Travel 20 over and your car reports you for excessive speeding,
Why 10 over? If the car's gonna nanny, it SHOULD BE complaining all the while you're violating any traffic law it can detect.

Frankly, that's one of the big regulations I expect to come for self-drive and smart cruise control vehicles. That they SHALL NOT exceed the speed limit that they're programmed with for any road while operating.

·
Administrator
21,126 Posts
Why 10 over? If the car's gonna nanny, it SHOULD BE complaining all the while you're violating any traffic law it can detect.

Frankly, that's one of the big regulations I expect to come for self-drive and smart cruise control vehicles. That they SHALL NOT exceed the speed limit that they're programmed with for any road while operating.
Running red lights, mowing down bicyclists, rear-ending other cars, there is no end to the freedoms that will be taken away! :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
There are times when exceeding the speed limit is required (like when my wife suddenly began giving birth to our twins 13 weeks ahead of schedule), so be sure to build in a "emergency override!"

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Including many police officers. I tend to drive right at the posted speed limit on my daily commute and almost never pass a moving patrol car. On the other hand I'm frequently passed by them. And yes, I stick to the right lane on multi-lane highways.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Thing is lack of insurance coverage doesn't always prevent someone from driving. Niether does a suspended or lack of a license, or lack of a motor vehicle registration.
On conviction, the penalty for these offenses, as well as drunk driving, should be loss of the vehicle. You can't drive without a car.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts

Cars need to have cameras to detect and adjust. I find it takes about six months for Google Maps to update speed limit changes and temporary construction limits are almost never reflected. Also, I-70 through the Colorado Rockies has a variable speed limit depending on weather and road conditions. The speed limit signs are electronic and CDOT can and does change them as needed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Theory: first EV drivers were either wealthy (Telsa) or environmentally conscious. In general, neither of these groups drive with abandon.
Haven't been around many Tesla drivers, have you? Power corrupts. Ludicrous+ power corrupts absolutely.

Yes, that's happening and no, it's not necessarily a safety inhancement as long as there are driver-operated cars on the road. One of the unintended consequences of using AI to put a "rock in the stream" where most driver-operated cars are going 10+ or as fast as traffic allows, the AI car puttering along at the posted limit triggers road rage in no-intelligence drivers. Been reported many times while testing the AI operation.

jack vines

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts