GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in TX and I expect most other states, if you hit road debris resulting in an insurance claim you have had an accident. Most states are immune from paying any claim even if they are at fault for road debris not being removed.

Last year I was on I35 in Austin in 3rd lane of 4 lanes with same direction traffic with moderate to heavy traffic, but moving at the 60 mph speed limit, about 50 yds behind a pickup in front of me that ran over a truck tire thread. Thread is lying across my lane and had a twist in the middle so that it was above the pavement by about 18". I braked but did not really slam on the brakes as I knew there was an 18 wheeler behind me. I didn't swerve either as cars in the other lanes. At 1st it didn't look like any damage, except for bent license plate. Further inspection found 2 cracks in the license plate bracket and a couple of cracks in the lower grill. Was inclined to forget about it, but went to the dealer for an estimate. About $250 more than my $500 deductible. Again thought about forgetting it, but decided to have it fixed. More damage found during repair resulting in about a $1900 claim. Bent radiators and other stuff. The outer bumper cover was not replaced.

Auto insurance premium did not increase due to no accidents last 5 years, actually more like 20 plus years. However, the premium on a personal liability policy did increase about 24% for the next 3 years, with the reason being that since I have had an accident, I am more likely to have another. In other words, I am just a statistic. Although what I did, did not result in damage to anyone else, I am still debating whether I should have slammed on the brakes.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Pretty much the same thing happened to me last year while driving my wife's Camaro. $1,700 claim and it is collision, not comp. It is much safer to take that hit than swerve or jam on the brakes.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
Ouch!

Local governments don't have the funds to keep things clean and repaired. They do the best they can, some better than others. Anything else and they'd need to raise taxes on everyone. This way, it's more like a lottery. If you "win" you pay a hefty bill. The most you can hope for with road debris is someone calls it in and a municipal worker or police pull it off the road.

The other situation is potholes. They can go unfixed for months causing expensive damage to one car after the other. Keeping a longer distance between you and the car in front can give you more opportunity to avoid impact. But if you follow too close, bam, no time to do anything but drive into it. Same for road debris.

·
Registered
13,560 Posts
My wife was hit with shrapnel from a blown RV tire which took out her CTS Onstar antenna and damaged the roof and front bumper. The RV driver's insurance covered everything. But that combined with a few other fender benders caused my very low insurance to go through the roof. It's gotten to the point that I will just pay for any fender benders out of pocket rather than submit another claim. The only time I'll submit a claim is if the damage is beyond what I can afford to lose.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Happened to me when I ran over an (illegal) rubber tie down strap. No way to see a black object on asphalt when going highway speeds. Yep, accident, your fault.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Although what I did, did not result in damage to anyone else, I am still debating whether I should have slammed on the brakes.

There's no debate here....it's going to cost you some bux, but that is a heck of a lot better than getting hit by a semi. You made a great choice -- don't second-guess yourself!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
One of the "driver thoughts" that was drummed into me from a very early age by my dad and granddad went like this...
"ALWAYS think to yourself 'what is going to hurt ME the least' and don't worry about the car"

·
Registered
478 Posts
One of the "driver thoughts" that was drummed into me from a very early age by my dad and granddad went like this...
"ALWAYS think to yourself 'what is going to hurt ME the least' and don't worry about the car"
Yep. Pilots are taught that any incident will exceed the deductible, so in any emergency, the airplane now belongs to the insurance company. Protect the people, then other property, then the plane.

Another lesson was that if a crash is inevitable, attempt to crash the plane in the softest, least expensive thing you can, as slowly as possible.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Yep. Pilots are taught that any incident will exceed the deductible, so in any emergency, the airplane now belongs to the insurance company. Protect the people, then other property, then the plane.

Another lesson was that if a crash is inevitable, attempt to crash the plane in the softest, least expensive thing you can, as slowly as possible.
Add "Never hit the ground nose first".

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Just keep in mind that if the object is moving then it's comprehensive. If it's not then it's collision.

·
Registered
126 Posts
That is odd, I was hit by (flying) road debris and it fell under comprehensive. Is it because the debris that hit me was airborne?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Add "Never hit the ground nose first".
The odds of survival are inversely proportional to the angle of impact.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Just keep in mind that if the object is moving then it's comprehensive. If it's not then it's collision.
I think you meant that the other way around.
In motion in collision. Stationary is comprehensive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts