GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Onward to the EVs. Have to say this is Honda corp and/or the dealers at fault for low sales. I could not find one in Western WA state about 1.5 years ago, not even for a test drive. Imagine what it must be like to get qualified service.

·
Administrator
20,866 Posts
That news is disappointing. Some here who have a Clarity have had generally positive reviews even though it's not as robust an EV as the Volt.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I really like my wife's Clarity. I'm not surprised to see Honda cancel this car though. The FCEV was simply too expensive and fueling locations were effectively limited to a small area of California. The BEV was way overpriced for what it offered. The PHEV is a great hybrid, but it doesn't really qualify as an EV or an ICEV simply because it depends both the electric and gas powertrains under high load conditions.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
When I bought my used Volt at the local Honda dealership, they had a Clarity in stock. Looked around it. Questionable rear quarter design (and I like most of the quirky stuff), trunk (no lift back) with only small pass through, wood trim (passe since luxury 60's sedans), suede trim, engine coming on at moments of high load (not a fan of intermittent cold engines). In short, nothing I liked about the car and I'm not hard to please.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Interesting all the stories I've heard about potential buyers not being able to find the car and Honda discontinuing it because of "low demand"

·
Registered
158 Posts
The Clarity, despite its odd looks, was on my backup plans. The irony is that Monday, thinking it might be time to replace my '13 Volt (jury is still out), went to the Honda dealer and they didn't know anything about the Clarity saying they "never saw one". Come to think of it, neither have I.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Clarity, despite its odd looks, was on my backup plans. The irony is that Monday, thinking it might be time to replace my '13 Volt (jury is still out), went to the Honda dealer and they didn't know anything about the Clarity saying they "never saw one". Come to think of it, neither have I.
I was in the same dilemma and had the same response from our Honda dealers. I was going to trade in our Odyssey on a Clarity, but none were to be found. I ended up selling our 2013 Volt and flying down to San Jose to pick up our 2018 Volt. In retrospect, I'm glad it turned out this way. We love the Gen 2.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I want a Clarity to replace my Volt last year. I ended up with a hybrid as none were to be found. My concern, no one here in Tampa had Clarity's and I figured service was going to be a problem. There were only a couple good dealers here that serviced Volts.

Jason

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 80k+ Miles
692 Posts
Hydrogen was never a good energy storage solution, so I'm not surprised to see it go. It's not readily available in volume in a naturally usable state. You have to use energy to split it from water, then compress, store, & transport. Not exactly an economical or efficient process. NG on the other hand is a good solution for long haul trucks and is readily available.

·
Administrator
20,866 Posts
Hydrogen was never a good energy storage solution, so I'm not surprised to see it go. It's not readily available in volume in a naturally usable state. You have to use energy to split it from water, then compress, store, & transport. Not exactly an economical or efficient process. NG on the other hand is a good solution for long haul trucks and is readily available.
Agreed. It's why some refer to Fool Cell vehicles. The economics are terrible. All that energy can simply bypass the middleman and be put into a battery with very little energy loss compared to hydrogen. What hydrogen has going for it is fast refueling...if you can find a station.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts