GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I have just been informed that after 4 years of providing Chevy information, Deal information, Keyes specials that my value is only seen if I am a paying sponsor. I had thought the FACT I have saved members 100,000's of dollars. Sold many Volts for real losses and had been the number one Volt advocate in the country was value. I have taken calls from all over the country to just help people get the right deals. NOT DEALS I SOLD.

I thank all those who have supported my efforts and I will continue find ways to provide the best of the best deals and information.

So for the last two days of month see my last posted deal on loaded Volts and come get yours with only 1000 down

Therefore I will not be able to post deals to this FORUM. My cell is
<removed>
thank you

Rick Alpern
General Manager Keyes Chevy

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I really doubt you sold many Volts for losses. Even if you did, you made it back and then some from GM bonuses. Let's not be misleading now.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
All of what you say about your value to the forum members may be true; however, the other side of that coin is that you were using forum members as a source of profit. You now have to decide whether or not it is cost-effective to pay for access to this potential source of profit. Only you know how much business you received from the forum members. It's a business decision. Pandering for our sympathy is somewhat tasteless. In New York, there is a saying: you gotta pay to play.

As far as adding to our discussion, I would always welcome Winchipper. I'm sure that others would, too. 8^)

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
All of what you say about your value to the forum members may be true; however, the other side of that coin is that you were using forum members as a source of profit. You now have to decide whether or not it is cost-effective to pay for access to this potential source of profit. Only you know how much business you received from the forum members. It's a business decision. Pandering for our sympathy is somewhat tasteless. In New York, there is a saying: you gotta pay to play.

As far as adding to our discussion, I would always welcome Winchipper. I'm sure that others would, too. 8^)
How much does it cost to be a paying sponsor anyways? I figure it is waaaaaay less on an annual basis than the $299 fee Truecar charges for leads for every transaction. Show GM-Volt.com the money, Rick!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I DO NOT PARTICIPATE WITH TRUE CAR BECAUSE IT IS A FARCE AND I WOULD NEED TO SOMEHOW PASS THE COST ON TO THE CONSUMER. I WOULD RATHER SAVE OUR GUESTS THE 300 BUCKS THEY CHARGE.

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts
Are you also not allowed to post in the Classifieds section? I would think this would be where potential customers should be looking if they are in the market anyway!

http://gm-volt.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?505-GM-Volt-Classifieds
http://gm-volt.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?513-For-Sale
Posts there will be deleted, just like the spammy post above. After four years of allowing Rick to use GM-Volt as his free classified ad vehicle for his dealership to sell more cars, it's time for his dealership to become a paying vendor, just like CARID, Discount Tires, etc.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have purchased a Volt from Keyes and another one from one of their competitors. In both cases I found Alpern's willingness to post transparent lease offers extremely useful in negotiating our final deals.

I know nothing about the economics of operating this blog nor the real cost of advertising to a car dealership, but I do want to support Alpern's assertion that his posts are valuable to the Volt community well beyond their benefits to his firm.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I went back through the last 120 past from the user. I think there was 1 that was not an ad for their dealership. I see the reason for the change.

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts
BTW, this will apply to all car dealers, not just Rick.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I went back through the last 120 past from the user. I think there was 1 that was not an ad for their dealership. I see the reason for the change.
But if he, or another dealer made let's go with a dozen non-sales posts a week should he not be allowed to pay when other vendors do?

Rick is a better dealer than most, he's not perfect and even the known dealers who can offer the holy grail of 20% off for a Volt without a dealer add-ons requires considerable negotiation and usual dealer "tricks"...Rick did offer us a $500 refundable deposit if we preordered a Gen2 before it was delivered for $500 under invoice...Then to everyone's surprise, Costco offered an under invoice deal bundled with a $700 gift card, Rick would let you convert your order to the Costco deal...There was at least a dozen posts I saw at the end of last year when someone blindly ordered a Gen2 without talking about price during the preorder and in many cases from a dealer who participated with Costco...The dealer would not "convert" the pre-order to a Costco deal and often charged the person around the MSRP price...By no means am I saying he should get a free pass, yet if he's going to get one I believe that's a good reason why...

·
Registered
29 Posts
But if he, or another dealer made let's go with a dozen non-sales posts a week should he not be allowed to pay when other vendors do?
My only point was that he stated that he's been providing valuable Chevy info as his first line of his post. Which is only true if you consider sales stuff for his dealership as valuable.

If dealers were providing a high ratio of non-sales posts per week, I would suspect that the moderators might have acted differently but I'm not one of the team to know.

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts
Deals are great. For example, Discount Tire fixes flats for free. But Discount supports the forum as a paid vendor even though they provide a deal/free service.

Regardless, the forum is owned by Vertical Scope. They pay to keep it running. Their policy is what we are discussing. Rick is free to contact them to try to have them change their policy in regards his classified ads.

Another approach for Rick (or others) is to actually post meaningful info that has nothing to do with "JULY 4 FIREWORKS SALE". Technical details, answers to members posts about issues, problems, error codes. Things that would be of value outside of a cars for sale topic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts