GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that GM does not plan to release the Bolt in a right-hand drive (RHD) format. Is this true? Also, how much of the market does that close off to the Bolt (i.e., how many countries won't allow Bolt sales without a RHD option)?

I think this could be a huge mistake for GM if this decision restricts sales in countries like England. I know the Volt/Ampera wasn't super popular in those markets, but smaller hatchbacks tend to be extremely popular. GM could have just punted their chances for record sales in Britain.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
I've heard that GM does not plan to release the Bolt in a right-hand drive (RHD) format. Is this true? Also, how much of the market does that close off to the Bolt (i.e., how many countries won't allow Bolt sales without a RHD option)?

I think this could be a huge mistake for GM if this decision restricts sales in countries like England. I know the Volt/Ampera wasn't super popular in those markets, but smaller hatchbacks tend to be extremely popular. GM could have just punted their chances for record sales in Britain.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_with_left-hand_traffic

It's a lot of people, since it includes several very populous countries, but not so great for EVs since the countries include India and Indonesia.

If Japan had a more open car market, RHD would be a lot more significant.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Probably really only England, and there are a number of competitors already in that market.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably really only England, and there are a number of competitors already in that market.
Does England require RHD?

Either way, I'm not sure how you can say there are a number of competitors. Europe is far more EV friendly than the United States, and there are literally no other EVs available for the Bolt's cost with, range, and charging capabilities.

·
Registered
13,842 Posts
Speaking of RHD, there's a guy with an original RHD GTR at a local community college. I have no idea how he was able to import it as I'm pretty sure it didn't meet the emissions regulations at the time.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Speaking of RHD, there's a guy with an original RHD GTR at a local community college. I have no idea how he was able to import it as I'm pretty sure it didn't meet the emissions regulations at the time.
Once they are 25 years old they are allowed in. Motorex also had a few different R-34s tested but that's a super rare and super expensive process. 95% of the GTRs that are seen in the US are R32 GTS-T cars. Not GTRs. Very similar looks but not awd and a little less power and still an a amazing car.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
The only way you will see a RHD Bolt is if California switches sides.

·
Registered
13,842 Posts
Once they are 25 years old they are allowed in. Motorex also had a few different R-34s tested but that's a super rare and super expensive process. 95% of the GTRs that are seen in the US are R32 GTS-T cars. Not GTRs. Very similar looks but not awd and a little less power and still an a amazing car.
There re no badges at all on the car, so yes, it's possible it isn't a GTR.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Does England require RHD?

Either way, I'm not sure how you can say there are a number of competitors. Europe is far more EV friendly than the United States, and there are literally no other EVs available for the Bolt's cost with, range, and charging capabilities.
They do not require it in the sense that they do not forbid LHD. A car has to be quite unique, like a smart car, to sell in any numbers with LHD. I can say from experience that driving with the wheel on the wrong side in the UK or Europe is quite uncomfortable on narrow streets and country roads and I wouldn't want to do it every day. Here it doesn't bother me so much.

Renault, VW, Hyundai, Nissan, Kia, and Mercedes, that I can think of, all offer BEVs and/or EREVs in the British market. How competitive they are is something we will see. Don't factor price into it if you are going by Bolt North American prices, UK prices are much higher.

Interesting discussion here, you'd have to adjust for upward Euro vs UK prices:

http://pushevs.com/2016/07/27/opel-ampera-e-alternatives-in-europe/

·
Registered
613 Posts
The Bolt is really all about the ZEV credits. GM wont make money without them so exporting the Bolt isn't a priority.

·
Administrator
20,347 Posts
The Bolt is really all about the ZEV credits. GM wont make money without them so exporting the Bolt isn't a priority.
If true, then why sell them in all 50 states, much less export to Canada and elsewhere? And yet, they will be sold in 50 states and exported. I'm sure you are correct and ZEV credits are part of the Bolt Bonus, but it's not the sole focus any more than it is for Tesla.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If true, then why sell them in all 50 states, much less export to Canada and elsewhere? And yet, they will be sold in 50 states and exported. I'm sure you are correct and ZEV credits are part of the Bolt Bonus, but it's not the sole focus any more than it is for Tesla.
Quite right. Aren't deliveries to Canada already in queue?

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No. And I would happily consider a LHD from new, providing it had local dealer backup. There have been various cars released here in LHD only due to a limited demand. It would not be unique.
Well, that's good. It might not be comfortable to drive, but some people might not care if they can drive from Liverpool to London without stopping to charge.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
It's not going to happen, though. Vauxhall is run by idiots. They ruined the Ampera launch. They still don't 'understand' the car, even now, and have so few supporting dealerships it is a genuine worry to us owners.

What would be good was if some enterprising business got a hold of the Opel concession in UK and launched it in that way. Opel even has the right badge for electric cars already, it could be the UK's 'electric' brand for GM here, leave Vauxhall to choke in their own ICE fumes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts