GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A short review of the Transcend Drive Pro 100 Dashcam.

I've run a dashcam in my Jeep for a few years now (An older Cobra model, now discontinued) and learned early on that the dividing line between cheap and quality units is VAST. Trust me, get a quality unit or don't bother at all.

After some research I settled on the Transcend DrivePro 100

Essentially this dashcam is an appliance. You plug it in, set the time and date, get it pointed where you want it, and it just works. Really, that's it and there is a lot to be said for that simplicity.

The power cord is plenty long to plug in to the dash and then feed around the edges and up so that you can mount it behind the mirror. The unit is large enough to stick out some below the mirror, but not much and it's really unobtrusive. However the red "emergency record" button is easy to access even when mounted behind the mirror.

Video quality is good-to-excellent and the camera adapts very rapidly to changing conditions such as brightly lit road and then into a dark tunnel underpass.

Video files are standard MP4. None of this weird proprietary crap you get from some manufacturers.

About my only complaint is that the 130 degree lens might just be a little too wide angle. License plates have to be fairly close in order to be readable in the video playback. My other dashcam's 117 degree lens can capture legible license plates quite a bit further out. However the 130 degree lens does pretty much cover "A pillar" to "A pillar" out the windshield.

Final verdict:
I've tried a handfull of different dashcams, and discovered what useless blurry junk some of them can be, and how great a GOOD dash cam is. After four months I've decided that the DrivePro 100 may not the "top of the heap" but I think it's an outstanding value and a quality unit and if I needed to I'd buy another.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Sounds like a nice camera.

Previously I ran a Black Box G1W for around $50. Very good camera as well. I upgraded to the Papago GoSafe 200 for my Volt due to the unique behind the mirror mounting. I soon found out the black dots in the upper center of the windshield hindered the wide view.

I'm now using the GoSafe with a windshield mount, however it does hang a bit lower than I'd like. Great images however.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks for the review.

Why did you choose the 100 over the other models in the line? Looks like there's a $10 to $20 step between models. Some manufacturers of other gear (e.g. Phantom quad copters) publish charts showing which models include which features but I'm not seeing that on Transcend's website. Is there any feature that is a 'must have' that I should look for?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the review.

Why did you choose the 100 over the other models in the line? Looks like there's a $10 to $20 step between models. Some manufacturers of other gear (e.g. Phantom quad copters) publish charts showing which models include which features but I'm not seeing that on Transcend's website. Is there any feature that is a 'must have' that I should look for?
The do have a comparison chart here.

I had a tight budget so that was a large factor.

Also, the 100 has a -small- battery in it that will run the camera for a very limited amount of time if the power is cut off, enough time to finish writing the active video file to the SD card. I like the idea that (God Forbid) I have a wreck of some kind that the camera should still be able to save the file for playback later even if the crash triggers a power cut.

The 200 model has a wifi interface to a phone, which I didn't really care about, and has a 160 degree lens which I think is just way too wide. You see more area but lose the ability to read signs, license plates, etc.

The 220 is a tech wet-dream with a lot of the features a Volt has in the two safety packages...GPS receiver, Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS), Forward Collision Warning System (FCWS), Speed Alarm, and Parking Mode. BUT it was out of my price range at the time. I admit that if I'd had the scratch I probably would have bought that one.

For my use, I prefer a lens between 118 and 130 degrees, a solid mount (if the mount jiggles it makes the camera useless) "standard" video files, and a form factor that "hides" behind the mirror as much as possible. If the mount system lets you easily place and remove the camera (this one does, without moving the suction cup mount) then that's also a bonus in my book to prevent theft.

Oh and of course TRUE 1080 HD recording with a good lens but I shouldn't even have to say that part <grin>.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Blackvue 650S 2 channel user here. OP is spot on. Crappy and good is a HUGE difference.

Huge fan of the 650 as there is no screen and it hooks up through a wifi connection to a phone or tablet.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks, Dutch. That's all very helpful. I think I'll be picking one of these up very soon. I didn't know that DashCams had all of those features in that price range.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Dutch. That's all very helpful. I think I'll be picking one of these up very soon. I didn't know that DashCams had all of those features in that price range.
The DashCam market has changed enormously (for the better) in the past four years and the additional improvements in just the last year and a half have been stunning as far as I'm concerned. But as I said, do your research because the crappy dashcams are truly awful.

·
Registered
280 Posts
After comparing prices and features, it looks like a 100 for our Volt (we have safety 1 and 2) and a 220 for other car, hoping the lane detection and collision alert work as well as they do in our Volt.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I went with the $30 ToGuard. Actually, even though it is dirt cheap, it is a very nice unit. Works great in the dark too. Replay on computer is very good, audio, is just ok, but video is impressive. I have been using it for about a year now with no issues.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have installed the DDPai M6+ (reviewed here by Techmoan) and it has been working great. It is magnitized to its mount, so it is easy to remove and or move to another vehicle. Got it through amazon.com.

//KMac

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After comparing prices and features, it looks like a 100 for our Volt (we have safety 1 and 2) and a 220 for other car, hoping the lane detection and collision alert work as well as they do in our Volt.

Thanks again.
A guy does a nice video review here.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN0VpyVdhEw

Please check back in or do your own review because I still have a third vehicle that needs a camera so I'd love to know how well it does or doesn't work

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had it in my plow truck. When insurance is $5500 a year and 5 million umbrella I can't have any chance for mistaken liability.

It's ALWAYS the plow guys fault.
yeah I can see why you'd want the best you could get for that

1 - 15 of 15 Posts