GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has this been done before?

I find that the image looks better when I shift to neutral and the light turns off instead of having the weird V shape from the stock reverse light. Has anyone disabled or just removed the bulb? The downside is that no one would see you are backing up. How about a heavily frosted lens to block most of the light so that other drivers would still see a white reverse light signaling them.

Second thought was to add a LED on each side of the stock reverse light to even out the light beam. Anyone done this or thought about it? I imagine I could tap into the wires behind the bulb socket and they would cut on when I go into reverse like normal.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
The problem of a poor camera image at night is usually attributed to the quality of the camera, and some have upgraded that as a way to improve it.

Several people have posted over the years about installing additional or different reverse lights. I know you can get reverse lights that will mount cleanly and easily in a round drilled hole in the bumper cover. Those look good, but I'm not sure about performance. The thing that makes me nervous is that the wiring splices will be in an area that is exposed to a lot of grime and moisture. You will want to seal them well. If you use the common pinch taps, it probably will not hold up long.

Your idea of just eliminating or at least dimming the existing light seems like a new approach, and an interesting idea.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also thought about possibility of moving the bulb inside the housing closer to the lens part so the beam is wider. I haven't taken it apart yet but it looks like its a cone and the bulb is in the back of it which creates those hard shadows.

Maybe a square array of LEDs stuck close to the inside of the lens?

I think ill try frosting the lens with window film first before i get crazy and splice or replace the bulb.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The circuit for the rear backup light also includes the backup camera (if installed). This power is supplied by F7 fuse 7.5A in the instrument panel right. Changing the Incandescent lamp to LED and adding additional LED lights is fine but don't exceed the current fuse protection.
Perhaps add a LED strip of white side emitting LEDs to the rear somewhere.
I agree the trapezoid backup lighting has a lot to be desired. Changing the backup camera helps but the lighting sucks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts