GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm bragging on our great Volt experience to a good friend, and we got to talking about transmissions, and as a Volt does not have one and his ICE car does, he eventually commented that his vehicle (as most do) use first gear for reverse. His car can back up no faster than the rev limiter will allow in first gear forward driving, in other words. So would a Volt be able to go a theoretical 100 mph in reverse?

Of course no one (probably) will ever do that in real life. But... Is it possible?

Discuss.. :cool:

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I was stuck in the snow in my parking spot at work a week or so ago. I turned off the traction control and spun the wheels in reverse. A message on the DIC said "speed limited to 37 mph." (flashed up pretty fast, I think that's the number I saw.)
. .

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
The original pre-prod Volts were not limited ... but someone noticed it and a software limit of 35mph or so was set for reverse top speed

·
Registered
872 Posts
Mechanically it could definitely drive at full speed in reverse since there's no gearing difference (just a change in the direction of rotation, of course). Now, the engine wouldn't be able to be started or run during this (MGA would have to spin even faster than top speed to start it!), but electrically it'd be fine. GM would be stupid to not software-limit the speed in Reverse, though ;)

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
This topic actually came up a few months ago when compared to the Leaf. Reverse is limited to upper 30's mph. I thought I had read 39, but it may have been 37 as posted earlier. The Leaf apparently is not speed limited as it was able to maintain an average somewhere in the low 60mph range. Looking at how poor the visibility is out of the rear, I wouldn't want to go any faster than 10-15mph so 30's is more than sufficient.....100 mph would be downright scary!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts