GM Volt Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I found this discussion really amazing. There is obviously an extreme amount of variability in people's reaction to seats. Personally the first thing I noticed was just how comfortable I found the seats in our 2017 Volt. I really like them. I guess this is just one of those things that will never please everyone.
It definitely depends on the person, but I think it also depends on what you're comparing them to.

I think the leather seats in our 2017 volt are fine, although I do think they're uncomfortable for long trips. I'm also well aware they're rock hard compared to my wife's MKC

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I'm curious if anyone complaining about the seats has the black/brandy leather? I find the interface stitching to be raised pretty high, and it hits my hips in just the wrong place. Not too annoying, but I haven't had the car long either. None of the test drives I took had that interior, so maybe it's particular to that combination.

·
Registered
13,627 Posts
I found this discussion really amazing. There is obviously an extreme amount of variability in people's reaction to seats. Personally the first thing I noticed was just how comfortable I found the seats in our 2017 Volt. I really like them. I guess this is just one of those things that will never please everyone.
I think there might be a huge business for 3rd party custom fitted seats, especially for people with back issues. My wife went to sleeping in a motorized LaZ Boy to a fully articulating Purple bed from back issues. We've added a cushion and lumbar support, and she no longer struggles on long trips as all of our cars caused he back to be in pain until now. Too bad nobody has a zero G mode recliner which elevates the knees a bit. Even just a little calf rest that pops out to give a little support like a living room recliner would be great.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Even just a little calf rest that pops out to give a little support like a living room recliner would be great.
MB already has seats with extendable thigh supports. They are great!

You can't recline too much in the car or it becomes a safety issue since you can slide out of your belt on impact.

·
Registered
13,627 Posts

You can't recline too much in the car or it becomes a safety issue since you can slide out of your belt on impact.
I'm surprised nobody offers 5 point harnesses as in a serious accident, I'd rather have that than the single lap/shoulder belt. Strap me in like NASCAR!!!!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
The '16-way' drivers seat in my 1990 Buick Reatta has them too.

Looking through the archives of this forum, there seems to have been little effort to replace Volt seats with those from another car. If a Gen 1 Volt seat is more comfortable than a Gen 2, perhaps it would 'bolt in' to a Gen 2? Also Cruze and Verano power seats might be options. Maybe others?

Fortunately, I don't have problems with the Volt seats, nor has my wife complained about them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm surprised nobody offers 5 point harnesses as in a serious accident, I'd rather have that than the single lap/shoulder belt. Strap me in like NASCAR!!!!
That would be very uncomfortable, and exceptionally unsafe, in a street car.

For one, a harness, properly secured, means your torso can't move, PERIOD. Forget leaning over a bit to clear a blind spot in the A pillar, let alone looking over your shoulder for traffic.

Two, check out the seat in a NASCAR car, or any other serious race car. You'll never find a plush, comfortable seat like you will in a street car. Plush seats means your body can fall away from the harness, and that's BAD in an accident, as the impact forces will throw your body into the harness causing all sorts of injuries by itself. There have been cases of spinal compression injuries from people running harnesses on top of plush seats (my personal opinion - putting harnesses on any kind of suspension seat is just begging to get paralyzed one day).

Three, watch videos of those guys getting strapped into the cars. Often times there will be a 2nd man outside the vehicle that will pull the straps tighter than the driver can get them. Properly adjusted, those harnesses are TIGHT on the driver, ensuring that the driver's body can't move around. Non properly adjusted harnesses CAUSE injury in an accident, not prevent it.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Personally, I preferred the seats in the 3 Prius I owned. The lumbar support in my '16 Volt seems to be quite lacking in comparison.
What year Prius do/did you own (3 Prius)? Both my son and I felt that his 2016 Volt seats were not as comfortable as my 2014 Volt. I've made road trips of 8,000 and 10.000 miles in my 2014 and can say that I was comfortable in my 2014 Volt over those distances.

I had an opportunity to ride in a 2012 Jaguar and found the passenger seat to be very comfortable. It was a short ride, so I don't know the long-term comfort level. I suspect that it would be more than acceptable. It seemed to be a very quiet car. Just a little larger in front than my 2014 was my impression. I like quiet!

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
It definitely depends on the person, but I think it also depends on what you're comparing them to.

I think the leather seats in our 2017 volt are fine, although I do think they're uncomfortable for long trips. I'm also well aware they're rock hard compared to my wife's MKC
I think that although the body needs support, some cushioning to alleviate pressure points to prevent causing eventual discomfort is necessary. I can recall GM products from the 1970-80 era that provided mucho softness with no underlying support: very uncomfortable for any distance travel.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts