GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
My 2015 Leaf S is a more comfortable seating height and position than just about any car I've ever had over 41 years, cloth seats. But it still needs a seat cushion. I got a 2016 Volt Premier about six weeks ago and while the seating position isn't as comfortable for ingress and egress, the leather seats are comfortable as hell while driving. Haven't taken it on a serious road trip yet though.
I've never considered hell as comfortable.

·
Registered
32 Posts
All of my cars in the past have had leather seats and lumbar support. First time I've gone with cloth seats in a car, 2017 Volt LT. I have back problems and restless legs and honestly I haven't had a single problem sitting in the Volt's cloth seats, which had me worried at first especially reading the criticism.. Longest commute time one way for myself was 2 hours and didn't have any issues with not being comfortable. I guess some people are different.

The BOLT, well, that's a different story altogether.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I find the seats comfortable, but the left footrest very awkward. I have long legs and can't get comfortable with that. It's positioned too high - wish I could cut it out.... That (and the lack of a garage door opener) is my minor complaint about this great car.
I also find the dead pedal a little high. But I suspect the wheel well is the gating factor. I'm able to put my left foot down on the floor next to the brake without interfering with the operation of the pedal. Then I can stretch my leg out completely.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I got some good advice from the forum here about getting cushions to try and alleviate the problem. I got a backbone support cushion from amazon which i have installed under a general car seat cushion. The bigger cushion has been effective with the side edges to the seats both along the rear and the back which were too small and sticking into my body. I am 5'9, 185 lbs. .
I find the seat a little confining as well, with the bottom cushion digging into my hips and back on long trips, and I'm about as skinny as you can get without disappearing. I guess it's all about bio-mechanics. In the old days you were just sitting on a couch placed in a car. Not much for the manufacturers to be concerned about then.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I find the '17 Volt seats very comfortable...nice snug fit on my back. Only thing I'd change is to get the headrest to move a bit forward so it's always just touching the back of my head. (mind you, I've come to the Volt from a Buick Enclave which has fatass "old person" flat and wide seats)

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Have done 16 hour straight drives in my Volt with no problem. Couldn't do that in any of my other cars without lots of stiffness afterwards.
I've done it, too. And repeated it an additional two days to reach a point of interest on my road trips. The seat in the Gen 1 is perfect for my back and bottom.

The seat design in the 2002 Prius was pretty bad for proper support. The 2010 Prius seat design was a little better. But, it was night and day better in the 2012 Volt and now my 2014 Volt.

·
Registered
926 Posts
You're one of the first to prefer a headrest that's further forward than back. Most, myself included, prefer the head rest to be further back or adjustable. This is why I have my seat reclined further than I like and the headrest at it's highest to avoid it jutting into the back of my head.

I wonder if there's aftermarket adjustable headrests for the Volt...

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I've done it, too. And repeated it an additional two days to reach a point of interest on my road trips. The seat in the Gen 1 is perfect for my back and bottom.

The seat design in the 2002 Prius was pretty bad for proper support. The 2010 Prius seat design was a little better. But, it was night and day better in the 2012 Volt and now my 2014 Volt.
Toyota's have notoriously horrible seats. If you really want to be comfortable in your car, get a Volvo. You will never want to ride in anything else.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
You're one of the first to prefer a headrest that's further forward than back. Most, myself included, prefer the head rest to be further back or adjustable. This is why I have my seat reclined further than I like and the headrest at it's highest to avoid it jutting into the back of my head.

I wonder if there's aftermarket adjustable headrests for the Volt...
Cars with even more advanced safety features have headrests that start out further back, and actually move forward to catch your head in the event of an accident.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ever since throwing my back out (moving two boxed 17" wheels at a time - turned while lifting and that was that. Didn't help that I finished moving the wheels afterwards, then the tires, then moved the wheels and tires into my buddys shop, out of the shop, and then installed them), it's been rather sensitive to car seats. So much so that I had to buy a lumbar pillow for the Camaro seats in my Cavalier, because those absolutely murdered my back (I had used a pillow crammed in the gap between the seatback and the cushion prior). It also affected my comfort in my supremely comfortable Recaros in my Cobalt. I had to stuff a blanket in the gap to keep my back from hurting.

I can't say I've encountered any issues with my Volt - love the seats.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've only had my Volt for 3 weeks, and the other day my wife (who'd been complaining of a slight back injury) came along for a ride and first thing she remarked was how good the seat felt in the Volt!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Toyota's have notoriously horrible seats. If you really want to be comfortable in your car, get a Volvo. You will never want to ride in anything else.
The Volt is my first non-Volvo car. I will say the seats are acceptable, but a definite step down from the Volvo. As you alluded to, that same criticism applies to most cars.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
The Volt is my first non-Volvo car. I will say the seats are acceptable, but a definite step down from the Volvo. As you alluded to, that same criticism applies to most cars.
I know what you mean. The most and least comfortable car seats IMHE, in descending order:

1999 Saab 95 (power seat) - exceptionally comfortable, heated
2011 Ford Fusion SEL (power seat) - comfortable, heated
2017 Chevrolet Volt (manual seat) - acceptable, heated

* 2017 Chevrolet Bolt (manual seat) - unacceptable (seat cushion is too narrow).

* Not owned, tested.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Driving any more than 50 miles in our 2017 Volt has me squirming trying to get comfortable. We also have a 2001 Honda Odyssey that I've driven 175,000 miles with never a problem. Anyone else? This is a 3 year lease so I can't do anything that can't be undone. Thanks!!
Sounds like you went to the University of Car and Driver. Most people have the notion that everything is judged by what honda and toyota does. Are you just a whiner trying to justify getting another japanese car so you can fit in with your neighbors?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Funny thing, I was just thinking about how much I miss my Volvo. I've put 10K miles on my Volt since buying it 3 months ago, so I don't believe it's a "new car, still need to get used to it" thing.

I just completed a 5,000 mile road trip in my '13 Volt yesterday, averaging 700/miles a day over a six day period. (yes, I know the math doesn't add - 2100 miles each way to Michigan and back, plus some driving around Michigan over a couple weeks).

I honestly can't recall another car that was more uncomfortable and downright annoying than this Volt, and I've owned over 50 different cars in my lifetime...some a real pile of crap. On the other side, the '94 Volvo 850 wagon was, by FAR, the most comfortable car I've ever driven and was a dream on long drives...and was already 10 years old when I bought it. I typically stopped because my brain was tired from focusing on 10+hours of boring road than because my body was begging for mercy.

In the Volt? The last 1,000 miles had me stopping every 75-100 miles just to get out of the wretched thing to move around and stretch a bit.

If I wasn't looking at seriously losing my behind on the deal, I'd be putting this car up for sale already, buying another Volvo, and dealing with the increased cost of operation.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Funny thing, I was just thinking about how much I miss my Volvo. I've put 10K miles on my Volt since buying it 3 months ago, so I don't believe it's a "new car, still need to get used to it" thing.

I just completed a 5,000 mile road trip in my '13 Volt yesterday, averaging 700/miles a day over a six day period. (yes, I know the math doesn't add - 2100 miles each way to Michigan and back, plus some driving around Michigan over a couple weeks).

I honestly can't recall another car that was more uncomfortable and downright annoying than this Volt, and I've owned over 50 different cars in my lifetime...some a real pile of crap. On the other side, the '94 Volvo 850 wagon was, by FAR, the most comfortable car I've ever driven and was a dream on long drives...and was already 10 years old when I bought it. I typically stopped because my brain was tired from focusing on 10+hours of boring road than because my body was begging for mercy.

In the Volt? The last 1,000 miles had me stopping every 75-100 miles just to get out of the wretched thing to move around and stretch a bit.

If I wasn't looking at seriously losing my behind on the deal, I'd be putting this car up for sale already, buying another Volvo, and dealing with the increased cost of operation.
I've had several Volvos, yet the Volt is a very cool car. But with the X60 now becoming plug-in, that could be my next vehicle. Of course I have to be able to afford it again too.

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
I'm saddened that the c30 ev never became a reality. I drove a gasser version as a car rental once. What a blast!!!

I'm hoping to be able to get a hybrid v60 cross country... if only they'd make it

Edit: a quick search on cars.com and there are a number of leftover new 2016 V60 Cross Countries at 8-10k off MSRP. This couldn't be a serious contender for my driveway as I was considering a Subaru Outback.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Did the seats feel ok during the test drive?

I have owned many new and not so no new cars in my almost 50 year driving career. My 2014 Volt leather seating is among the most comfortable I have known even though they are not as adjustable as many. Maybe the Gen 2 is different.

2014 Volt Premium - Safety pkg 1 and 2, Navigation
That is my experience. I had a base gen 1 with the cloth seats that I found very comfortable. My gen 2 premium with leather is not nearly as comfortable. As I look at the layout I see 3 differences that I attribute to making it less comfortable 1. Shorter seat bottom = less leg support.....which 2. Is made worse by awkward deadpedal for the left leg and 3. Less curvature on seats which give less support in turns making back muscles work harder.

In general I consider my gen 1 a better car while my gen 2 has a better battery.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Personally, I preferred the seats in the 3 Prius I owned. The lumbar support in my '16 Volt seems to be quite lacking in comparison.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I found this discussion really amazing. There is obviously an extreme amount of variability in people's reaction to seats. Personally the first thing I noticed was just how comfortable I found the seats in our 2017 Volt. I really like them. I guess this is just one of those things that will never please everyone.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts