GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving any more than 50 miles in our 2017 Volt has me squirming trying to get comfortable. We also have a 2001 Honda Odyssey that I've driven 175,000 miles with never a problem. Anyone else? This is a 3 year lease so I can't do anything that can't be undone. Thanks!!

·
Registered
463 Posts
No issues with mine which are in leather (which I find more comfortable verses cloth). I have a 52 mile daily commute plus a 210 mile trip most weekends.

·
Registered
13,665 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Is it possible that the very reason you find the Volt uncomfortable is that you've done 175000 in the Honda?

Different seats, and your sitting posture has adapted to the former?

I recall going from a car with a sloppy seat that made my back curve in a C into a newer car with lumbar support. First few weeks I thought I had made a mistake getting the car but after a while realised it was quite comfortable after all. I happened to drive the same old car again and was horrified that I had actually been driving that car before, what had it been doing to my back!?!

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
Is it possible that the very reason you find the Volt uncomfortable is that you've done 175000 in the Honda?

I recall going from a car with a sloppy seat that made my back curve in a C into a newer car with lumbar support. First few weeks I thought I had made a mistake getting the car but after a while realised it was quite comfortable after all. I happened to drive the same old car again and was horrified that I had actually been driving that car before, what had it been doing to my back!?!
When I first got my volt, I was surprised the headrests didn't tilt as all of my previous cars had tiltable headrests. I eventually got used to it, but the first two weeks took some getting used to.

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
659 Posts
Have done 16 hour straight drives in my Volt with no problem. Couldn't do that in any of my other cars without lots of stiffness afterwards.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Seats are designed to fit most people-and they do. Be sure you've tried all the adjustments, then buy an aftermarket cushion to fix the problem.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I find the seats comfortable, but the left footrest very awkward. I have long legs and can't get comfortable with that. It's positioned too high - wish I could cut it out.... That (and the lack of a garage door opener) is my minor complaint about this great car.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Driving any more than 50 miles in our 2017 Volt has me squirming trying to get comfortable. We also have a 2001 Honda Odyssey that I've driven 175,000 miles with never a problem. Anyone else? This is a 3 year lease so I can't do anything that can't be undone. Thanks!!
Did the seats feel ok during the test drive?

I have owned many new and not so no new cars in my almost 50 year driving career. My 2014 Volt leather seating is among the most comfortable I have known even though they are not as adjustable as many. Maybe the Gen 2 is different.

2014 Volt Premium - Safety pkg 1 and 2, Navigation

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I find the seats comfortable, but the left footrest very awkward. I have long legs and can't get comfortable with that. It's positioned too high - wish I could cut it out.... That (and the lack of a garage door opener) is my minor complaint about this great car.
Yeah the dead pedal placement was the number one physical reason I got rid of the car, I did get used to it for short drives but I really cramped up on trips over a half hour...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have suffered a great deal of pain around my rib cage driving my 17 volt with cloth seats. I too have never had this type of problem with a car before. I got some good advice from the forum here about getting cushions to try and alleviate the problem. I got a backbone support cushion from amazon which i have installed under a general car seat cushion. The bigger cushion has been effective with the side edges to the seats both along the rear and the back which were too small and sticking into my body. I am 5'9, 185 lbs. However, after about 3 weeks the rib pain has not gone away although its a bit better. At first i thought the cloth seats were to blame and considered changing the driver's seat out for leather or for another GM seat. However, now I think that its a combination of the position of the steering wheel and the seat and the alignment of the driver in the cockpit. I noticed that if i move the steering wheel around the location of the pain shifts slightly and becomes more or less acute. I believe that the steering wheel is positioned too low and too close to the driver who is also seated too low in the car. This causes the chest muscles along the rib cage to become isolated and strained as the steering wheel is turned. Although I am reasonably fit my chest is constantly hurting and am at a loss right now as to what to do about it. Maybe changing out the seat would help but I am no longer very convinced this is a solution. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I find them to be quite comfortable on long drives. My wife loves them. Neither of us felt the same way about the Bolt seats...

·
Registered
926 Posts
I've heard people complaining about Bolt seats, but my 2017 Volt front seats are fine.
I find them to be quite comfortable on long drives. My wife loves them. Neither of us felt the same way about the Bolt seats...
Sat in a Bolt during my last service appointment. It is way too narrow a seat for my wide derriere. The bolsters were digging into my thighs. Not comfortable at all.

I love the Volt's seats. About the only thing I hate about it is the reclined, napping position. I'm guessing that lumbar support is what's annoying me as I'm used to older cars (pre-2000) where there was no lumber support: the seat reclined at a hinge point that was lower, maybe butt-level, as opposed to newer cars (including the Volt) where the hinge point was at my lower back.

I actually like where the dead pedal is but not for obvious reason: I tend to jack my left leg up with my foot flat on the floor. I rest my left arm atop the left knee when one-handed steering on straight aways. But I do agree, when I actually put my foot down on it, it's uncomfortable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2015 Leaf S is a more comfortable seating height and position than just about any car I've ever had over 41 years, cloth seats. But it still needs a seat cushion. I got a 2016 Volt Premier about six weeks ago and while the seating position isn't as comfortable for ingress and egress, the leather seats are comfortable as hell while driving. Haven't taken it on a serious road trip yet though.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts