GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.denverpost.com/2017/11/2...t-u-s-is-moving-forward-on-electric-vehicles/
“General Motors believes in an all-electric future,” GM product boss Mark Reuss announced recently. “Although that future won’t happen overnight, GM is committed to driving increased acceptance of electric vehicles through no-compromise solutions that meet our customers’ needs.”

GM already offers one extended-range electric vehicle — the Chevrolet Bolt EV — but it will add two others within 18 months, and at least 20 will be in the company’s lineup by 2023, Reuss said.

Thus did GM become the latest — but certainly not the only — car company to reveal a commitment to what is being called the “electrification” of the auto industry.

Importantly, Reuss, in a nod to stockholders, made it clear the electrification at GM must be profitable. An all-electric future, he said, only makes sense if the company can make money.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
My two cents: keep the Volt badge and reconfigure the battery as warranted to utilize current/cost-effective technology, but keep the Extended Range capability until there are "filling stations" on every corner and "filling up" takes 3 minutes. The Volt badge is eponymous to the electric car going anywhere at anytime for any distance. That's saying something!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Here's hoping we start seeing convertibles and vehicles with sunroofs.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
GM already offers one extended-range electric vehicle — the Chevrolet Bolt EV — but it will add two others within 18 months, and at least 20 will be in the company’s lineup by 2023, Reuss said.
No one yet has picked up on the mistake made there.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Just put in a 150 mile battery and 7.2 amp charging and I'll trade in my 2011.
2nd'd! Heck, I'd settle for 100 mile battery (36 kWh).

·
Registered
524 Posts
They make a profit on high volume vehicles. Economy of scale. Until they sell millions of SUVs and pickups electrics will be low volume compliance vehicles. Going from one percent of the market to 10 percent will take commitment but there will still be 90% of the market running on petroleum. Vague threats from governments about banning ICE in 20 years doesn't mean much at this point.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
They make a profit on high volume vehicles. Economy of scale. Until they sell millions of SUVs and pickups electrics will be low volume compliance vehicles. Going from one percent of the market to 10 percent will take commitment but there will still be 90% of the market running on petroleum.
When they start producing vehicles more in line with the wants and needs of the majority it gets easier. One particular person of note was in love with my Volt but wouldn't be buying one because he had a growing family and needed more room.

Vague threats from governments about banning ICE in 20 years doesn't mean much at this point.
I would replace "vague threats" with "toothless political posturing". Take a look at how it went down in the Netherlands for a template of what's to come.

greentechmedia said:
The Netherlands, which has an electric vehicle penetration level of around 10 percent, voted to ban all new petrol and diesel car sales by 2025 in a motion passed in April. The move, approved by the lower house of parliament, was due to be debated by the senate last month.

Instead, the country announced plans to become “one huge Living Lab for Smart Charging of electric vehicles,” according to a press release.

The Living Lab program is light on targets and timeframes.
Since then it seems that this failure is being whitewashed in the green media. No matter really - gubmint force rarely works anyway.

In any case the proposed reduction in battery costs for GM, if true, will be a giant step forward. That's how real progress is made - innovation.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The money theme at GM is not new.

"General Motors is not in the business of making cars. It is in the business of making money." T. Murphy CEO 1974-80

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
The money theme at GM is not new.

"General Motors is not in the business of making cars. It is in the business of making money." T. Murphy CEO 1974-80
That's the goal of any publicly traded company. It's the deal they make when they take OPM Tesla.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
That's the goal of any publicly traded company. It's the deal they make when they take OPM Tesla.
All true. GM is a money making enterprise or else it would fail and be unable to innovate in the electric or any other space. With all that said though, it is an engineering driven company more than most. (Including Barra and others). I respect what they are doing in electrification. They are leading.

Sent from my A3-A30 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts