GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tesla does it, now BMW i3 does it.

This is a quote from a story on i3... "Just like Tesla Model S owners, people who were early to the i3 party can have the new batteries retrofitted. The 60 Ah model will continue to be sold alongside the new 94 Ah"

Why doesn't GM care enough about their customer satisfaction and loyalty to offer to retrofit 2011-2015 Volts with the new, higher power battery being used in the 2016 Volt.

Based on a rough calculation, if they replaced the 288 batteries of 17.1kwh (59.3 wh/cell) with the new batteries in 2016 Volt of 192 batteries of 18.4kwh (95.8 wh/cell) , the range would be about 64 miles.

Don't you think that would make a lot more people love GM, if they knew they would get that kind of company support? For sure it would increase sales of new Volts and Bolts if they knew they would be taken care of in the future.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Didn't GM increase the size of the Gen I's battery pack three times over it's life.

I think the main difference trying to make these comparisons is the Volt is on its second generation which is a different platform all together, while the Tesla and BMW are still in production with the same platform they started with.

And I can't even calculate the cost, effort and testing associated with retro fitting a new/improved/different battery pack/cells to an out of production vehicle.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
To be fair, Tesla doesn't really support this.
They have done it, but it isn't something they typically do.

I am not familiar with the i3 program.

·
2,356 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Tesla does it, now BMW i3 does it.

This is a quote from a story on i3... "Just like Tesla Model S owners, people who were early to the i3 party can have the new batteries retrofitted. The 60 Ah model will continue to be sold alongside the new 94 Ah"

Why doesn't GM care enough about their customer satisfaction and loyalty to offer to retrofit 2011-2015 Volts with the new, higher power battery being used in the 2016 Volt.

Based on a rough calculation, if they replaced the 288 batteries of 17.1kwh (59.3 wh/cell) with the new batteries in 2016 Volt of 192 batteries of 18.4kwh (95.8 wh/cell) , the range would be about 64 miles.

Don't you think that would make a lot more people love GM, if they knew they would get that kind of company support? For sure it would increase sales of new Volts and Bolts if they knew they would be taken care of in the future.
BMW stated they won't do battery swaps in the US.

·
2,356 Posts
Say the battery in my 2013 completely failed for some reason. I would like the option to upgrade to the latest battery compatible with that vehicle platform: the 17.1 kWh battery.

But I wouldn't otherwise do a battery swap to gain a small amount of range. The 2016 Volt gets 53 miles; a retrofit is going to give you less than that because the gain in range also comes from lower vehicle weight and changes to the drivetrain design.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
So let me get this straight. You want GM to offer a replacement (ie crate) battery like they offer crate engines. Nothing wrong with that if there is an actual market for it.

The problem with this thinking is that the replacement item often costs more than an entire vehicle. Personally, I'm not putting $10k upgrade in a car that's only worth $15k and has other worn parts.

·
Registered
741 Posts
There is no economically viable path for such a battery exchange.

I do think though they could reprogram the car to use more of the existing capacity. If the new models are holding less reserve and allowing a higher charge to get bigger useful numbers, certainly a software only upgrade would be useful to take advantage of that.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
So let me get this straight. You want GM to offer a replacement (ie crate) battery like they offer crate engines. Nothing wrong with that if there is an actual market for it.

The problem with this thinking is that the replacement item often costs more than an entire vehicle. Personally, I'm not putting $10k upgrade in a car that's only worth $15k and has other worn parts.
Not to mention he fact that going from 16.0 to 17.1 is what? about a 7% increase in capacity, of which you can use about 60%. So a real-world 4 or 5% increase in capability, for a considerable financial investment.

Mental math, someone may refine it, but I think I have it close enough for argument's sake.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
In the case of putting a G2 battery in a G1 car, there is the issue of whether it will physically fit in the space provided for it in G1. Also, there has been so few cases of Volts needing new batteries so far, this really hasn't become an issue yet.

I would not be surprised if when these cars get old enough to have a lot of battery failures and if battery pricing has dropped enough to make economic sense to replace the battery on an old car, there are aftermarket solutions for upgrading capacity. But of course, is is also likely that few people will care at that time because they will want an entirely new car with the 300 mile range or self driving features or 10 minute charging or whatever the state of the art will be at that time. A 20 year old volt with 80 miles of electric range that can burn $20/gallon gasoline might not be appealing to anyone.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I remember looking at the specs on the gen 2 battery. Although it changed dramatically inside its external interfaces ( physical and electrical) were similar to the gen 1 battery. So I would think from an engineering perspective that it could be possible, but financially I'm not sure. The cost of batteries is falling every year. In some time in the future the cost of changing batteries may be similar to swapping engines today, but I'm not sure GM wants their EVs to be operable for 30 or 40 years as this would seriously reduce demand for new cars.

While the OEMs may not be interested in offering cheap replacement batteries the manufacture of conventional car batteries may. If so, in the future you may be able to go to a Sears or Pep Boys and have a generic battery installed for much less than a dealer installed factory battery.

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts
Car companies do not upgrade 5 year old cars with the latest engines.

Apple does not upgrade your old computer with the newest chips and hard drives.

Samsung does not upgrade your old TV with the newest screen.

It's not a matter of caring, that's just not a viable business model.

If you want to replace the main battery in your Volt, you can pay to have it done. But I doubt it would be economical just to get a few more driving miles. And trying to use a Gen 2 battery in Gen 1 might be possible, but you'd be a pioneer and need a bank account.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Say the battery in my 2013 completely failed for some reason. I would like the option to upgrade to the latest battery compatible with that vehicle platform: the 17.1 kWh battery.

But I wouldn't otherwise do a battery swap to gain a small amount of range. The 2016 Volt gets 53 miles; a retrofit is going to give you less than that because the gain in range also comes from lower vehicle weight and changes to the drivetrain design.
From what I've read if you have a traction battery failure they have a computer system that can tell which of the cells or which other non cell part are damaged and they replace just the parts that need replacing. Not replacing the entire battery assembly itself.

·
2,356 Posts
From what I've read if you have a traction battery failure they have a computer system that can tell which of the cells or which other non cell part are damaged and they replace just the parts that need replacing. Not replacing the entire battery assembly itself.
I believe it can go either way. In some cases they will replace the entire battery assembly (as per fishhawk's post #10) or they replace only the parts that need replacing. It's a rare occurrence in any case.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Why doesn't GM care enough about their customer satisfaction and loyalty to offer to retrofit 2011-2015 Volts with the new, higher power battery being used in the 2016 Volt..
Why doesn't GM care enough about their customer satisfaction and loyalty to offer a retrofit for the 2010-2015 Camaros with the new lighter weight chassis and better engines and better interior and better performance with everything being offered in the 2016 Camaro?

What kind of narrow-minded nonsense are you asking?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts