GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
22,537 Posts
The Volt being dual-fuel source certainly lessens the blow when gas prices spike.

Reactions: VOLTandaBOLT

·
Registered
2015 Red Volt
2,072 Posts
I’m retired too and even though I bought my Volt 4 years ago, I really enjoy driving it and it’s without a doubt the best car I’ve ever owned. On St. Patrick’s day I put in 2 gallons of gas to drop my son off at the airport. Since then I’ve gone through 2 EMM’s and it still shows I have 65 miles estimated gas range. Amazing!

·
Registered
2018 Volt LT Cajun Red
29 Posts
I've had my 2018 Volt LT for just over a year now. Loving it. Only had one minor issue. Planning on retiring end of this year, so I hope to enjoy the 61 MPGe I just got over the weekend.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Been retired now for 7 years and loving it. Our 2011 Volt is used for local trips and get about $10 gas a year, well maybe more next time. Sold my 2012 Volt with 80K miles on it, started to act flaky so off it went and a new 2022 Bolt replaced it, hope it is just as reliable.

• Love

·
Registered
34 Posts
Been retired now for 7 years and loving it. Our 2011 Volt is used for local trips and get about $10 gas a year, well maybe more next time. Sold my 2012 Volt with 80K miles on it, started to act flaky so off it went and a new 2022 Bolt replaced it, hope it is just as reliable.
Hey! Join the Bolt and a Volt club. Membership of 2 (known).
Membership definitely has it's privileges! (like cheap travelling costs). ;-}

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
And where might that be? ;) LOL

·
Registered
14,036 Posts
I retired early using the little known IRS rule of 55 in Aug 2021. Ironically, I bought the Volt because I drove 50+ miles per year for my commute, but had been working remotely since Mar 2020. Sadly, my volt barely gets driven, maybe once or twice a week 6 miles round trip to the nearest town and maybe the 50 mile round drip to the larger town once or twice a month. With how little I drive now, I could own a Raptor and barely feel the pinch.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I'm so jealous of retirees. I still have several years of work left. At least 12 more. I drive about 100 miles round trip daily to work and back. I'm fortunate to be able to charge at work with a portable 110V EVSE and 240V EVSE Level 2 at home.

·
Registered
14,036 Posts
I'm so jealous of retirees. I still have several years of work left. At least 12 more. I drive about 100 miles round trip daily to work and back. I'm fortunate to be able to charge at work with a portable 110V EVSE and 240V EVSE Level 2 at home.
I was on the path to retire at 65, but at the age of 48 I lost a great paying job, realized that I was spending just as fast as I was getting pay increases, and that flipped a switch in my head to scale way, way back, save like crazy, pay off the two car loans, and pay off the mortgage 14 years early. Without any expenses except feeding my face and paying property taxes, it makes saving a war chest full of cash easy. It took losing my job and finding a better one to get me off the path of limping my way to retirement. Take the bull by the horns and give yourself the option of walking away when you want to, not when they decide to downsize you.

·
Administrator
22,537 Posts
A focus on being debt free and saving, saving, saving helps a lot.

I'm big on buying what I can afford with cash when it comes to cars, paying off cards each month, paying off mortgages early, putting as much as possible into savings and basically being debt free. We spend way less on clothes, vacations, eating out than many. We are Frugal. Came in handy when my wife and I both lost our jobs at the same time many years ago. We bounced back but there was never a worry about bills. Our retirement savings are now more than adequate.

Even though our inclination is to work, we will both be "stepping away" (how they say it in some press releases, lol) from our jobs in the next few years,. We have plenty of time consuming side projects. Me inside the house, her outside.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
I was on the path to retire at 65, but at the age of 48 I lost a great paying job, realized that I was spending just as fast as I was getting pay increases, and that flipped a switch in my head to scale way, way back, save like crazy, pay off the two car loans, and pay off the mortgage 14 years early. Without any expenses except feeding my face and paying property taxes, it makes saving a war chest full of cash easy. It took losing my job and finding a better one to get me off the path of limping my way to retirement. Take the bull by the horns and give yourself the option of walking away when you want to, not when they decide to downsize you.
All good advice, did much the same 25 years ago, new house a car payment but making exceptional income. Paid off the house in 6 years and the car off in 18 months, started stacking investments for the next 15 years, got to retire @ 62 with SS disability which was a serious PITA to get but having a good savings account to live on and a wife who was a coupon queen ( never knew we could get so much free stuff like toothpaste) we did alright for the 28 months to get the SS disability started and a back check for 12 months worth. That was 8 years ago and no regrets, we now own 2 houses a new Bolt and a very low milage Volt, so far no major expenses in our future, just property maintenance and taxes, home & car insurance and standard utility bills with water the most expensive because of the solar install we did in 2010.

We did get downsized by a major silicon Valley firm earlier than planned but did a couple of contracts until we applied for the SS.

Now we live the dream, no financial stress.

• Love

·
Registered
14,036 Posts
All good advice, did much the same 25 years ago, new house a car payment but making exceptional income. Paid off the house in 6 years and the car off in 18 months, started stacking investments for the next 15 years, got to retire @ 62 with SS disability which was a serious PITA to get but having a good savings account to live on and a wife who was a coupon queen ( never knew we could get so much free stuff like toothpaste) we did alright for the 28 months to get the SS disability started and a back check for 12 months worth. That was 8 years ago and no regrets, we now own 2 houses a new Bolt and a very low milage Volt, so far no major expenses in our future, just property maintenance and taxes, home & car insurance and standard utility bills with water the most expensive because of the solar install we did in 2010.

We did get downsized by a major silicon Valley firm earlier than planned but did a couple of contracts until we applied for the SS.

Now we live the dream, no financial stress.
I paid my house off in 7 years. Paid off the cars instantly as I was scratching my head wondering why I had car loans with $30k cash in the bank for a false sense of security. I walked away from a great tech job in august 2021 and am waiting for the 401(k) to recover before I go nuts on a new Silverado EV or Lyriq (or both… or whatever else comes long to change my mind) as wall as a bunch of solar panels and lithium batteries. Also on the list is a big barn/toy garage to have space to start collecting cars. I’m not stressed about finances though we are being prudent until we know for sure we can loosen the purse strings a bit. As for SS I keep thinking I should lease something CRAZY like a Huracon when those payments start. Another part of me just might not collect to help the country’s finances in a small way (like a thimble in an ocean). If I don’t spend it on an exotic maybe I’ll just donate it directly to someone in real need.

• Love

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
My house and car should be paid off by the time I'm retired but that's still over a decade away. Unless I become like one of those millenial Youtubers that make millions doing bullshit for entertainment.

·
Registered
14,036 Posts
My house and car should be paid off by the time I'm retired but that's still over a decade away. Unless I become like one of those millenial Youtubers that make millions doing bullshit for entertainment.
That was my plan too to pay off the house just before 65 but with 2 separate Fortune 500 companies a new CEO comes in and decides to close or move smaller sites to other locations completely upended my plans. You need that job scare to force you to do better than coast to paying off the debts way before retirement. None of my job scares were related to performance, but pure bean counters running the show with no real pulse of strengths within the company.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I retired early with zero debt and expect to remain debt-free for however long I manage to live.

I knew my budget needs far before I quit working and so, before I retired, every time I was tempted to spend a chunk of change, I would figure out how many months I could live on that money and, thereby get out of work earlier than 67.

Not spending $50,000 for some new toy meant I could retire a lot of months sooner.

·
Registered
14,036 Posts
As for YouTube, I think there are many making low to mid 6 figures but millions, not very many. Alas I’m averaging mid 6 figure growth annually in my 401k over the past few years sitting on my butt doing nothing. This year is not looking so good but it tends to go up much more than it comes down.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts