GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Sorry for my english, I dont really know the technical terms in this case. I just bought an Ampera, a new charging point have been planted into my garage. My ampera hits off the Residual-current circuit breaker (the left on the picture) every first time when I plug it in. Then I disconnect the car, turn back on the breaker and all works for the second try. We have tested the charging point/my home charger yesterday with friends car and no problem.

Any idea? Please help!

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
You need to contact the maker of the charge cord. The circuit breaker installed my not be correct and the issue my be fixed by installing a correct type of breaker.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Works fine on your friend's Ampera but not yours (first time) as per the second picture (I presume) would tend to indicate a problem on your Ampera. The charge block on the car the cord plugs into is the cheapest, easiest thing to change out. Anything else is more problematic. This would seem to be a case where I would change it myself and if it doesn't work, I have a spare good one for when the installed one cracks (which they have been known to do, usually resulting in a failure to charge). First perhaps cleans the contacts on the block in the car as this costs next to nothing. Do the easiest, cheapest steps first. Last resort is taking it to a dealer which always means big bucks. Alternative is to put up with it as you can get it to charge, just with a little inconvenience.

·
Super Moderator
6,424 Posts
You need to contact the maker of the charge cord. The circuit breaker installed my not be correct and the issue my be fixed by installing a correct type of breaker.
My ampera hits off the Residual-current circuit breaker (the left on the picture) every first time when I plug it in....
Any idea? Please help!
I would first change the circuit breaker that is tripping (hits off). That is a pretty cheap test and you can return it if that is not the problem.

Assuming it is the circuit breaker on the left ... those are pretty interesting (more complicated) than what I'm used to here in the USA. Looks like it has a fault detection with a (T)est button.

https://www.elektronetshop.de/product/legrand-fehlerstromschutzschalter-402036.678964.html

Technical details about the productLegrand residual current circuit breaker 402036 RX3 residual current circuit breaker, type A, for AC and pulsating DC residual currents according to VDE 0664-10, EN 61008-1, instantaneous, 2-pole, rated current In 25 A, rated residual current Idn 30 mA, rated voltage Un 230 VAC, rated frequency 50 Hz , Surge current-proof up to 250 A, rated short-circuit current 10 kA with suitable back-up fuse, fastening on top hat rail EN 60715 by snap fastenings, clear information on the front of each device, clear switching position indicator red / green on the switching lever, with labeling window, with plug-in protection for safe insertion of the conductor into the elevator clamp, Attachment of auxiliary devices possible. Manufacturer Legrand Installation EAN No. 3245064020367

·
Administrator
21,120 Posts
Assuming it is the circuit breaker on the left ... those are pretty interesting (more complicated) than what I'm used to here in the USA. Looks like it has a fault detection with a (T)est button.
EVSE's can be temperamental with some fault detectors.

·
Registered
16,17 volt
1,155 Posts
just a ground fault breaker
25 amp trip
and will trip at 30 milliamps to ground
did you try your friends car at that breaker location
nevermind re read post
check your cord connection on your car for cracks, oil antifreeze
all it takes is 30milliamps draw to ground to trip
capacitors are bad for that and they would be in your charger in your car