GM Volt Forum banner

Requiring an Onstar subscription for RemoteLink

8K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  hellsop 
#1 ·
Requiring a monthly fee for Onstar to use a simple RemoteLink app is truly a gouge to the customer. Just ridiculous and not appreciated. Would recommend that decision be seriously reconsidered.

#5 ·

You have to understand that the App talks to a cellular modem (phone) that is built into the car, so GM has to pay for service for that to be enabled.

They give it free for a long time on Volts, probably for data collection reasons (they pull usage info from the car).

#8 ·
New Volts get 3 or 5 years onstar free. Not sure if it is the same for 2017 but someone that has it will know.

RemoteLink app is discontinued. MyChevrolet app is the replacement.

Even if Onstar free runs out the basic function is still available for free that allows the KeyFob apps to use on your devices.

#9 · (Edited)
It is free for this functionality, you're not being gouged.

5 Years?? I have a 2017 Premier and OnStar has already contacted me advising that my free subscription (Guidance), expires in March. Do I have free basic service after that?? Just wondering.....
Basic Guidance plan is for 3 years, per the Chevrolet website. See below. Only thing that runs out in 3 months is the Wifi/4G LTE I think.

New Volts get 3 or 5 years onstar free. Not sure if it is the same for 2017 but someone that has it will know.
Per Chevrolet's Volt website:

The standard OnStar Basic Plan† keeps you connected for five years and includes select features of the RemoteLink mobile app as well as limited OnStar services, like Advanced Diagnostics† and dealer Maintenance Notification to help you schedule service.
  • Remotely start your vehicle, lock/unlock your doors, honk your horn and flash your lights.
  • Send destinations to your Chevrolet MyLink navigation screen
3 years of the OnStar Guidance Plan† (Shown under the "Chevrolet Complete Care" on the Volt's webpage)
So to the OP, after your 3 months of free Onstar "everything" runs out, you still get the OnStar Guidance plan for 3 years, and the basic service free for 5 years that lets you do all the key fob functions from your phone with RemoteLink/MyChevrolet.

Pretty sure the stuff that runs out after 3 months is the Wifi and 4G LTE, for example.

#11 ·
It is free for this functionality, you're not being gouged.

Basic Guidance plan is for 3 years, per the Chevrolet website. See below. Only thing that runs out in 3 months is the Wifi/4G LTE I think.

Per Chevrolet's Volt website:

So to the OP, after your 3 months of free Onstar "everything" runs out, you still get the OnStar Guidance plan for 3 years, and the basic service free for 5 years that lets you do all the key fob functions from your phone with RemoteLink/MyChevrolet.

Pretty sure the stuff that runs out after 3 months is the Wifi and 4G LTE, for example.
Yes. "Keyfob" functions are lock/unlock. No data, no charge status, etc. Lock/unlock....great.

#16 ·
I understand business. I run several. Point is, you have a simple app that's cheaper that throwing in a tank of gas at pickup, yet you're charging an unusual amount. That's gouging. I can understand selling it for ..$20, whatever. But to ask a min of $240/yr for a tool that's near nothing to GM is the definition of a gouge.

#17 ·
Hello runway1,

We can certainly understand the inconvenience associated to monthly expenses. Rest assured, that OnStar offers multiple Plans, so that you can choose the OnStar services which best fit your needs and budget. For more information on our Plans & Pricing, please visit hhtp://www.onstar.com/us/en/plans-pricing.html.

If you have additional questions, or are interested in discussing your Pricing concerns further, please send us a private message.

Philip J.
OnStar Customer Care

#21 ·
Aw, come on, Philip... that page indicates there are only three paid plans, costing $20, $25, and $35/month. Free Basic Service provides no-cost access to several sections of the app, including the Key Fob section. We’re talking here about access to the Vehicle Status section of the app to check our total ev miles and charging status, etc., i.e., access to existing data, not about access to services such as emergency response that require OnStar staffing.

Your referenced OnStar page does indicate the availability of certain add-on programs to the Basic Plan, such as Stolen Vehicle Assistance for $5/month and Family Link for $3.99/month. If OnStar offers access to the Navigation section of the app for $12/month, wouldn’t it be equally possible for OnStar to offer access to the Vehicle Status section of the app for say, $3.99/month?

#22 ·
Yeah I pretty much gave up on trying to get the charge status for free. A year of BCAA roadside assistance was half the price of the lowest Onstar plan, and I can still check my charge status from my phone via myvolt.com

#23 ·
So does this mean you can't pre-condition the car from the app if you don't have the paid subscription, or is that part of the 'Key Fob' features? I ended up not getting a Volt in the fall but am trying to plan for getting one in the next 2-4 months. If I don't have the paid access, is there a different way to set the car to preheat/precondition on a schedule?

#24 ·
Pre-conditioning (Remote Start) is part of the "key Fob" features. There is no way to schedule a remote start.

#25 ·
Hello NevynPA,

We’d be happy to clarify. We have a few different plans available for our customers depending on the model year vehicle you are interested in. Customers who purchase a 2015 model year vehicle or newer will have access to 5 years of our complimentary Basic Plan. This plan allows you to have access to services such as our myChevrolet app, Advanced Diagnostics and Dealer Maintenance Notifications. If you are interested in purchasing a 2014 or newer pre-owned vehicle, you are able to take advantage of a similar plan for 3 Years On Us. These both include access to our key fob services which allow you to remote start your vehicle. If you have any further questions regarding this, please feel free to send us a direct message.

Sincerely,

Alex H.
OnStar Customer Care

#27 ·
hello!!!
I bought my 2015 volt brand new,and as part of th agreement, I received 90 day's free onstar which included everything
after 90 day's onstar want's you too pay for everything,and it is a smogasboard of fee's.
the wifi is a separate charge,as you can link up to 7 devices and you're volt can be a hotspot for them
I have free onstar basic,which includes the mobile app where I can remote start,put the windows down,monitor the charging etc.
I also get a monthly email from onstar letting me know about my volt and diagnostics
my chevy service department also get's a free cop
I still have free warranty on my key fobs for 5 years
tis is a free service,and I also get Bluetooth for my phone for free as I didn't pay for the sirus radio
good luck

#29 ·
GM had a Special Onstar promotional package for 2015 vehicles only. Your services are different than other model years. For most basic plan users, it's key fob functions only. No vehicle status options without a paid service upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#28 ·
The issue I have with OnStar is that much of their service is out dated. No one needs live voice navigation. No one needs handsfree calling (if you have your cellphone with you and it's paired via Bluetooth. Perhaps the Accident protection has some value. They call you and call 911 not at $360 per year though. It should be no more than a typical roadside assistance package.

Technology has passed it up partially. I would pay for their service on an occurrence basis. Meaning if I needed their service ( talk to real person at Onstar) I would be fine with paying a nominal fee per call.

I'd call it Onstar Access Ala-carte. They could bill me via iTunes per call.

The MyChevrolet App should be designed to allow wifi or Bluetooth to communicate with the car if I'm in range ( at home ) as part of the basic functionality and include Vehicle status. If I want that info to be available outside of my wifi range then it could be a nominal subscription.

When I had my free trial all access Onstar, the only thing I used was the vehicle data portion on the remote app.

This just makes since with smartphone technology these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#30 ·
The issue I have with OnStar is that much of their service is out dated. No one needs live voice navigation. No one needs handsfree calling (if you have your cellphone with you and it's paired via Bluetooth. Perhaps the Accident protection has some value. They call you and call 911 not at $360 per year though. It should be no more than a typical roadside assistance package.
Depends on where you are. The transmitter in the Volt has ten times the watts and easily twice the range that your handset has. There are places where BOTH are out of range, and that's a good justification for carrying a paper map or a standalone or onboard GPS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.