GM Volt Forum banner

Requests for Spark EV

29714 Views 33 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  George S. Bower
Upfront, I want to apologize for making a Spark EV suggestion on a Volt forum but right now there's nowhere else to go. I currently own a Volt and will keep it many years, but I want to get a Spark EV as well. Three requests:

- Make the Spark EV available in Utah (so far only CA, OR and WA have been announced)
- Provide a 6.6 kW option (cuts charging time by more than half)
- Highly incentivize dealers to provide free SAE DC quick charging - UT is unique is that its population is quite concentrated along the Wasatch front and the Chevrolet dealerships are located nicely along the freeway and downtown locations; making them perfect for a quick partial charge to get home if needed.
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
I decided to buy a Spark EV on Sunday (for factory invoice) without the DC charger, since I too, don't foresee the use very practical for our driving needs. Althought it would have been a nice feature, the implementation of the public chargers (and hopefully home chargers) will take time. The deal was great and we decided to buy the 1LT and paid for aftermarket leather instead. Car is super fun to drive and even more fun than my Volt. (yikes, did I just say that?)
Like you, I too took the plunge last week and picked up a Spark EV (a 2LT electric blue). It's such a blast to drive!

I too was a bit disappointed about the lack of DCFC, but because I am primarily a home-work-home commuter I don't have much of a need for such a fast charging solution. However, it would have been nice for those one-off longer trips.

Maybe we'll get lucky and Chevy will surprise all of us and roll out a retrofit for our cars in the coming months? That would be a great Christmas present. ;) But I'm not holding my breath.
@toob. Congrats on the Spark. We look forward to zipping around town in that little thing. Now wife and I are both EV'ers. Would be nice to DC upgrade in future in we wanted. Time will tell.
@toob. Congrats on the Spark. We look forward to zipping around town in that little thing. Now wide and I are both EV'ers. Would be nice to DC upgrade in future in we wanted. Time will tell.
Congrats to BOTH of you!
Looking forward to hearing your impressions of the Spark EV.
General driving impressions/complaints, charging behavior and times and especially how much range is affected seasonally which should be a bit more tolerant than the Volt due to the A123 cell chemistry.

I am also interested in hearing how you like the "new "range indicator (with min-max) and how accurate it is as well as your impressions of the exclusive new Infotainment features such as Bring-Go navigation and Siri "Eyes Free"

By the way here is a link to some documentation on the Siri features used on the Spark EV
http://www.chevrolet.com/content/da.../en/Home/Ownership/MyLink/02-PDF/SiriFAQs.pdf

Enjoy your new Chevy EV and welcome to gm-volt.com
(which by the way is striving to be THE definitive source of reliable information and owner feedback forums on ALL GM EREV and EVs in existance)

Regards
WopOnTour

PS>I can tell you there IS some discussion about the potential of making the DC charging available as a retrofit, probably at an additional cost. Hopefully that comes to fruition for the early adopters but I think you'll agree for many people that mostly charge at home it's not really a huge issue.
See less See more
Congrats to BOTH of you!
Looking forward to hearing your impressions of the Spark EV.
General driving impressions/complaints, charging behavior and times and especially how much range is affected seasonally which should be a bit more tolerant than the Volt due to the A123 cell chemistry.

I am also interested in hearing how you like the "new "range indicator (with min-max) and how accurate it is as well as your impressions of the exclusive new Infotainment features such as Bring-Go navigation and Siri "Eyes Free"

By the way here is a link to some documentation on the Siri features used on the Spark EV
http://www.chevrolet.com/content/da.../en/Home/Ownership/MyLink/02-PDF/SiriFAQs.pdf

Enjoy your new Chevy EV and welcome to gm-volt.com
(which by the way is striving to be THE definitive source of reliable information and owner feedback forums on ALL GM EREV and EVs in existance)

Regards
WopOnTour

PS>I can tell you there IS some discussion about the potential of making the DC charging available as a retrofit, probably at an additional cost. Hopefully that comes to fruition for the early adopters but I think you'll agree for many people that mostly charge at home it's not really a huge issue.
Thank you WOT for the warm welcome and all of the great info. I'm looking forward to putting my EV through the paces and will report back my findings...

BTW, do you think it's a good idea to get an online petition going (or an email campaign, etc) to Chevy encouraging them to make the DCFC retrofit a reality? I'm not sure how many (if any) GM execs/engineers frequent this forum, but maybe if we can make a little noise, they'll be sure to take our requests into serious consideration. Or at least, one would hope they would!

Just a thought.
Thank you WOT for the warm welcome and all of the great info. I'm looking forward to putting my EV through the paces and will report back my findings...

BTW, do you think it's a good idea to get an online petition going (or an email campaign, etc) to Chevy encouraging them to make the DCFC retrofit a reality? I'm not sure how many (if any) GM execs/engineers frequent this forum, but maybe if we can make a little noise, they'll be sure to take our requests into serious consideration. Or at least, one would hope they would!

Just a thought.
That initiative would probably be just a bit premature at this point, but as I said I know it is something already being discussed by the Spark EV team. So maybe let's give them the opportunity to come through in this regard first. The DC charging won't be available until Q1 2014 so once its available we can go from there...

First and foremost- ENJOY YOUR GROUND-BREAKING LOW COST EV!
WOT
Text Font
That initiative would probably be just a bit premature at this point, but as I said I know it is something already being discussed by the Spark EV team. So maybe let's give them the opportunity to come through in this regard first. The DC charging won't be available until Q1 2014 so once its available we can go from there...

First and foremost- ENJOY YOUR GROUND-BREAKING LOW COST EV!
WOT
Any idea when the crash ratings will be finalized?
See less See more
I agree. I think 6.6Kw L2 charging is much more critical.
I agree the 6.6kw charger was almost a deal breaker but with a year with my Volt averaging 30 miles a day and charging almost exclusively on 110v, I figured I could live without it and save the battery the undue stresses. Crossing my fingers for the DC retrofit though.
Thanks WOT, you're probably right. Anyhow, keep us posted on this topic and in the meantime I'll keep working on pushing the range on my Spark EV over 90+ miles!
Just got done doing two back to back drives this weekend in the Spark EV. The first was 75 miles on freeway and had 15 left when we got home. The 2nd was 77 miles with 9 left. Not too shabby. Gotta love driving all electric. I also just ordered my Bosch Power Max 30A 220V charger with my $500 Spark voucher. The entire order with tax and shipping was $172 and will arrive in a few weeks for a self installation. Amazing deal!!
How do you order the Bosch charger with the Spark rebate?
I called Bosch at 1-877-805-3873 and got a hold of a sales rep and they had me choose the charger I wanted, deducted the $500 off the price, waited on the phone for me to fax my copy of registration to them and placed the order. I was very impressed with the customer service and since the Power Max 30a was back ordered, I will get it in about 2 weeks.
I decided to buy a Spark EV on Sunday

Car is super fun to drive and even more fun than my Volt.

(yikes, did I just say that?)
I believe it.
I want one too!
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.