GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks

Thinking about buying Volt with Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC). Any comments about the desirability of this option (or other options) would be greatly appreciated.

One potential complication is that I am moving from Redmond, WA to Statesboro, GA within a few weeks. Should I wait til I get to Georgia to buy the car? I think that if I buy it in Washington it is somehow badged to be able to drive in HOV lanes. Is this an irrelevant misconception?

Many thanks for you help. Varqa

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I have driven on ACC for almost two years. I will never buy another car without equivalent or better technology.

ACC makes commuting more relaxed and even tolerable. Only thing better would be fully autonomous.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I held off buying a Gen II Volt until its second year just to get ACC. While I haven't used it on a LONG trip I have gotten out on the interstate near me to test it out, I got up to speed and locked on to a vehicle in front of me and just sat back and let it follow when he sped up I sped up and matched his speed, when he slowed I slowed. I followed the vehicle until he exited and was pleasantly surprised how it slowed and ultimately came to a stop without any action on my part.

Having just got back from a 2000 mile r/t visit with our kids in Maryland with our 2016 Equinox I was constantly having to manually interview and manage my speed because NO ONE seems to be able to hold and maintain a steady speed. I could see how this would reduce the drama and effort needed during long distance freeway driving.

It's not exactly like Tesla's AP nor is it billed as such but it does eliminate a tiresome burden folks live with during long trips.

With the LKA, FCA with FAB and ACC I can't wait for more. And yes I want a fully atonomus vehicle.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I decided to trade my 14 Volt for a 17 and the ACC was a big factor in this.
It is great for stop and go traffic as well highway driving.
I too wouldn't get another car without it.
Also, I'd highly recommend DC I and II, but I think you have to have them to get ACC.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
It might be beneficial to look into tax savings for buying in WA. I believe there was a thread regarding waived sales tax if you bought a Volt there. I'm not sure if it's still honored, but if it is, you can save some green that way.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I purchased my '17 with ACC, I actually managed to change the order before it got into the production queue, and I'm glad I did. It works very well even in the dark and as others have mentioned it slows down quite smoothly and speeds up slightly more abruptly than I might, but not alarmingly so. Over the next few years I foresee ACC quickly becoming as ubiquitous as standard cruise and having it might be a differentiator that will work in your favour come trade-in/sale time.

A couple small caveats tough. I've only had the car a couple weeks and I've had the ACC suddenly stop working three times, two times brought up a check engine light almost immediately after. That could be a pure coincidence and completely unreleated given the small sample size. For the record it has worked flawlessly the other dozen times or so times I've used it and reengaged after those hiccups without incident. Also each time it cut out the car gave an immediate warning chime and message about what happened so I was able to quickly take over the accelerator without issue. It's definitely not autonomous driving but for longer commutes with variable speed traffic and long trips it would give you as the driver a bit of break (nobody is as steady at maintaining speed as they think they are) so you can focus a little more on steering and managing traffic smoothly and safely. As was mentioned the two Driver Confidence packages that are required for ACC are also useful safety aids especially when you factor in the car's thick A, B & C pillars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts