GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums and wanted to pick your brains.

Our neighbor recently turned us onto the Volt. We had a chance to go out with him and his wife to lunch. I enjoyed the ride and asked a bunch of questions.

I'm seriously considering getting a Volt after I turn in the lease on my Camry. I think it is really well designed and a great gas saver for me (since I drive about 30 miles round trip for work.)

Wife and I went for a test drive to see what it was like at a local dealer in Kirkland, WA. Dealer was awesome and sales staff were very knowledgeable, not pushy.

My question is whether or not there is any incentive to buying the car from CA and having it shipped to WA (~1,000 to ship). I heard that the rebates and/or deals of buying the car in CA might offset any cost for shipping the vehicle. I'm just not sure how to proceed or start the process. I also was curious if I should wait for the next model year to come out toward the end of the year (lease is up in Oct), or if there were any benefit of pulling the trigger earlier?

Thanks for your time and hopefully someone has some tips for me or has done this type of purchase before.

·
4,881 Posts
You can't get the CA rebate unless you live in CA, but Keyes in California has been a very low cost dealer for many, and they've had vehicles shipped to them out of state as a result.

The gas savings are nice on the Volt, but what you'll soon find, possibly to your surprise, is that's really just the icing on the cake. The smooth drive, silent instant torque, no jerkiness of shifting, regenerative braking resulting in minimal to no brake pad wear, oil changes only once every 2 years, etc. really cause a person to smile.

In my opinion the Volt is the only plug in hybrid on the road that provides all electric driving for the majority of a person's driving without any compromises for extended trips. It's a win-win, and performance isn't sacrificed for efficiency with electrics. :)

Loving my Volt, by the way, if you couldn't tell. :)

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Wife and I went for a test drive to see what it was like at a local dealer

Good idea to bring her...

You need something to keep the passinger seat from getting dirty.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Wife and I went for a test drive to see what it was like at a local dealer in Kirkland, WA. Dealer was awesome and sales staff were very knowledgeable, not pushy.
Very knowledgable? How refreshing! Many of us have not had that experience. Welcome to the forum and pick, pick away. There are many good brains to pick here.
Don't worry about Elemental. He's harmless. The class (er, forum) clown.
Welcome!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
The 2016 model year (about September, 2015) Volt is supposed to be the one with several major changes/improvements. The rumors are: more back seat legroom, two different battery ranges, one with about 30 miles and five passenger room and lower price, and a four passenger one with close to 60 miles.

Of course, as soon as these hit the showroom, all of the new 2014s and 2015s on dealers lots will get discounts too.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Very knowledgable? How refreshing! Many of us have not had that experience. Welcome to the forum and pick, pick away. There are many good brains to pick here.
Don't worry about Elemental. He's harmless. The class (er, forum) clown.
Welcome!
yes welcome to this forum. and Elemental is efficiently pointing out that often a car buying decision is often better made by whichever person is going to drive the car the most, I don't want to influence or judge my spouse's car choice and in return I ask her to not judge mine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice

Haha, actually Elemental's comments were funny.

I concur with ClarksonCote's description of the car. I was really impressed with the drive and feel of the car.

We've always owned European cars (the Toyota was our first Japanese car). I am really just drawn to the fuel efficiency and well engineered concept of the car. I have compared the Volt to every other EV/Acronym vehicle and it really does seem to stand out in value amongst its competitors. I never liked the Prius and didn't understand the draw for such a "crappy" drive and sluggish feel. Volt definitely delivers in the driving department.

As for my wife driving it, I doubt she'll get the chance. She just got a CLA so she's pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
As for my wife driving it, I doubt she'll get the chance. She just got a CLA so she's pretty happy with it.
CLA? Is that a brand of appliance?
:cool:

This actually reminds me of when I took her to the apple store with me. We both left with two useful product.

I Got a iPhone, she got an iRon.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Oh! I saw one of those..... This woman was trying to park one in front of my house....

I was like "Hey! You can't park your car here!" She said "Ok, how about over there....."

I said "You can't park a car there either......" to which she asked "Why not?"

"Because you're a woman that's why!"

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Just don't let your wife drive the Volt if you get one, she might decide she likes it better than the CLA, then guess what happens?

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
you might just as well get 2 of them right away, the wife will have yours in a month or so.

·
Registered
197 Posts
You might consider getting a quote from Dave Smith Motors in Kellogg, ID. We bought our Volt there 2+ years ago and got a pretty good deal. They will handle everything via phone/internet.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
You wouldn't be disappointed in the Volt, with a 30 mile commute you would see smoother drives than a Rolls Royce and more quiet that an all electric Tesla Model S - that is if you don't mind extended periods of having to drive a CLS. Don't be surprised if your house is at times affected by VSBW syndrome (Volt Stolen By Wife).

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
Just don't let your wife drive the Volt if you get one, she might decide she likes it better than the CLA, then guess what happens?
My wife had no interest when I was test driving, no but now whe stole my volt and I'm stuck with a CTS except on days when she doesn't need the volt and allows me to drive it, despite the fact I have a much longer commute.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
She hits something hard and gets the car bent up! Thats what happens.

Every week someone has a "My female damaged my Volt." thread started.

Recall that one broad managed to drive it on a rock in a parking lot needing to be towed off!

The only thing a female should be allowed to destroy is the flooring between the bedroom and the kitchen. And maybe the door on the stove from wear.

The idea that SHE will get the BETTER car in the household for daily consumption is disgusting! Grow a pair fellas!

·
Registered
14,009 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums and wanted to pick your brains.

My question is whether or not there is any incentive to buying the car from CA and having it shipped to WA (~1,000 to ship). I heard that the rebates and/or deals of buying the car in CA might offset any cost for shipping the vehicle. I'm just not sure how to proceed or start the process. I also was curious if I should wait for the next model year to come out toward the end of the year (lease is up in Oct), or if there were any benefit of pulling the trigger earlier?

Thanks for your time and hopefully someone has some tips for me or has done this type of purchase before.
I think your shipping cost is too high. I had mine shipped from CA. to Florida for $800. Rydell Chevy in CA is where I got mine from and it was simple. Wait for the $4,000 or $5,000 off MSRP deals. my car is great and wife drives it all the time. She won't drive my pickup.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I think your shipping cost is too high. I had mine shipped from CA. to Florida for $800. Rydell Chevy in CA is where I got mine from and it was simple. Wait for the $4,000 or $5,000 off MSRP deals. my car is great and wife drives it all the time. She won't drive my pickup.
Much depends on the locations, if the driver has to go very far off the main freeways east and west then it will cost a bit more. We shipped the 2011 from Michigan in the middle of the state, I had a hard time getting anyone to ship it under $1000 because the detour up into Michigan costs the trucker money.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts