GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, first post here. I get a bit crazy sometimes and buy volts to part out... (if you need something let me know). But I've been wondering, in theory, the gas motor + e-motor are very potent, up to 70KW+ output? let's say i want to use it as a 10-20kw generator, that's still very compact compared to competition. I can get the ICE motor to run with a standalone ECU, maybe not optimally but good enough. But has anyone done any work on understanding the EV side of this? Is the inverter communication proprietary?
I guess i'm wondering if its a matter of sending some 0-20ma signal for how much to excite the windings, or is there a processor onboard the inverter?

Thanks.

·
Registered
OpenEVSE home charger, 2013 Volt base, added tow hitch, K&N filters, 3d printed interior mods, etc
109 Posts
I've had similar musings but haven't dug into the technical side at all. I agree that second lifing volt components into stationary generation / solar storage/ etc is a compelling idea, depending on cost to reverse engineer signaling as you described.

Keep us informed on what you find in this regard, though!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been looking into the same idea on a high level. I'm thinking you can mount it on a travel trailer and provide power to all the new electric trucks coming out so that they can be used to haul trailers on long trips without stopping every 60 miles.

Seems like it wouldn't be that hard to tie back to the haul vehicle and it could serve as a basic generator for the camper when boondocking. That could be a pretty killer boondocking system, with the EV providing quiet power to the trailer at night, then run the relatively quiet generator during the day.

I just don't have the details on how much that system weighs and what components you could do without since the volt generator is also a transaxle (iirc).

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 110k+ Miles
1,179 Posts
When I buy a truck, one of the desired features I'm looking for is on-board power. This is where the truck can act as a generator when needed. With the F-150 hybrid, you can place it in generator mode. The gas engine will cycle on and off as needed charging the high voltage battery. You pull energy from the battery to power whatever you need. Once the battery is drained to a certain level, the gas engine powers back up to recharge the battery, then powers off, and the cycle continues.
Of course, just pulling energy straight from the generator should be much simpler. To me however, it seems like it's more trouble than it's worth, even for a hobby project. Interesting concept though. Your best place to start is lots of reading, pouring over the Service Manual.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts