GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1104995_first-buyers-of-2017-chevy-bolt-ev-electric-car-to-be-lyft-drivers-report

UPDATE: Reader G. Michael Murphy indicated in a comment on this article, below, that an unnamed internal source "high in the Bolt EV management" told him that Fortune had drawn an unwarranted connection between the Bolt EV launch and GM cars being offered to Lyft drivers.
"Our own source with knowledge of matters internal to GM, who would not go on the record, confirmed that Lyft would receive the majority of Bolt EV deliveries for the first several months of production."

Well, that's a bummer if it's true.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, according to this blog post, 60,000 people in Chicago applied to become a Lyft driver, but could not because they didn't own a car. 60,000 in 1 city.

https://blog.lyft.com/posts/expressdrive

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Even if this is true, how many Lyft drivers are there? I can't imagine this being more than, say, 1000 cars - and if so then at an annual rate of 25,000 vehicles it means 2 weeks' worth of production. Not the end of the world, and possibly a nice way to raise awareness of the vehicle.
Most aren't "exclusively" Lyft drivers, they sign up for a variety of services including Uber, local variants and food delivery...

The way the GM/Lyft program works for Equinox in Chicago is you apply for the lease/rental...If and when approved if you complete 70 rides a week you don't pay a rental fee, insurance or maintenance, just fuel...You also avoid depreciation by not piling on the miles onto your own personal vehicle...There are detailed reviews and many rules with this program...You must be "on the Lyft clock" meaning you make yourself active on the app or you're charged by the mile...This means you cannot do other competitor services if you want to avoid paying mileage...

I like the idea, great exposure for GM, Lyft and the Bolt EV...We still don't know about how charging will work, I can't imagine they'd tell the Lyft drivers they're on their own for electricity so perhaps Lyft/GM will partner with some charger networks...

But this is exact opposite to real world efficient data that GM will want...Did they say they'll be efficiently driving points gained for a shared network of Bolt drivers? Good luck seeing any Lyft drivers there...Aggressive driving is financially rewarding to a driver since time is money...Also with the doors constantly opening and closing, expect very high HVAC usage...Don't be shocked to stories start to appear from Lyft drivers who state they can only get about 150 miles of range unknowingly not realizing that aggressive driving and heavy HVAC use is the reason for a huge range hit...

I still wonder if GM gets the ZEV credits if they "sell" a Bolt to Lyft...

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Good: Easy sale for GM
Good: Will get plenty of miles on new platform quickly
Bad: Lyft drivers won't be reporting in here posting their experiences with the Bolt

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Bad: Lyft drivers won't be reporting in here posting their experiences with the Bolt
Lol...Probably a good thing because it's been stated it's going to select markets which I think are San Fran and Chicago and later L.A....All are urban and expensive meaning most drivers, who are usually young, do not live in a home where they can charge at home and therefore may not be pro-EV...Why would a non-EV person want an EV then? Because it's free and even more attractive if the electricity is free...

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm....so theoretically I could sign up for Lyft, then sign up to rent a Bolt later this year at whatever the weekly rate is (most expensive GM rental option is an Equinox at $239/week), then just drive it around like a regular rental and never pick anyone up. It costs 25 cents/mile for "personal use" travel. At the worst, it wouldn't be any more expensive than a regular car rental at Enterprise or wherever. :p

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Well, according to this blog post, 60,000 people in Chicago applied to become a Lyft driver, but could not because they didn't own a car. 60,000 in 1 city.
I can't imagine that GM would initially approve anywhere near that number of drivers for the Bolt program. They'll start relatively small and ramp it up if successful.

·
Administrator
19,968 Posts
Someone told someone else that someone who has it on good authority said... haha.

I wonder when some solid Bolt EV news will be announced by GM. Maybe a Bolt price configurator?

·
Administrator
19,968 Posts
Actually it seems likely to me that those first vehicles will go through a pretty thorough quality assurance process, which might actually be a good thing.
Yes, I agree. One of the reasons I bought an early first year Volt was a belief it would actually be a better car than later years. So far, regarding problems or issues, it has indeed been better. Zero regrets.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Hmm....so theoretically I could sign up for Lyft, then sign up to rent a Bolt later this year at whatever the weekly rate is (most expensive GM rental option is an Equinox at $239/week), then just drive it around like a regular rental and never pick anyone up. It costs 25 cents/mile for "personal use" travel. At the worst, it wouldn't be any more expensive than a regular car rental at Enterprise or wherever. :p
It's a great strategy! Even better if you end up getting either free or low cost electricity...You have to pick up the vehicle from somewhere, at the very least you'd imagine the Lyft-Bolt-Fleet's home base offers free charging...I just wonder if you turn the thing back in once its near empty and get a new fully charged one...That seems like a better solution rather than expecting a Lyft driver to wait around for an hour or so at a chargepoint charger...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hopefully, my reply won't be duplicated. Tried to post forgetting to log in.

I actually like the idea a bunch of Bolts are going to Lyft drivers.

This means, to me, there will be a bunch of Bolts in the used electric car market in the 2020 time-frame, right when I hope to have saved enough money for a used electric car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts