GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all... First, thanks for many years of insight into this wonderful car. Your accumulated knowledge has been very valuable.

Problem: I've worn my cruise control switch bald. It works perfectly, but I have poor thumb traction!
Car Fixture Personal luxury car Tints and shades Auto part

I bought a replacement part (about $35) and was planning to do it myself. I got as far as removing the airbag, but the switch assembly appears to be connected to the shiny trim on the steering wheel.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel

I poked around a bit with my trim tools, but felt nervous about clips, glue. etc. I'm not sure how it's all attached.

Does anyone have experience removing the trim from the wheel for a project like this?

The dealer and a couple of auto shops near me quoted me about $200 for this, so if I can't do this myself, Plan B is to get some grip tape and improve the thumb traction.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
This might be helpful, what you need I think starts at 5:50 in the video.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This might be helpful, what you need I think starts at 5:50 in the video.

Many thanks! This was one of the videos I used to get as far as I did. Unfortunately, the Cruze steering wheel is slightly different from the Volt. In ours, the cruise control assembly is screwed to the shiny plastic trim, and there appears to be no way to get to the screw without removing the trim.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive mirror Automotive design

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Did you figure it out? I found the instructions in the gen 1 service manual that there is a link to here on the site. Might I suggest you download it and save it for the future, do it now before the file disappears.

Jaw Gesture Rectangle Font Parallel

Human body Slope Font Triangle Parallel

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you figure it out? I found the instructions in the gen 1 service manual that there is a link to here on the site. Might I suggest you download it and save it for the future, do it now before the file disappears.

View attachment 174669
View attachment 174668

View attachment 174669
View attachment 174668
Thank you so much for the service manual link! I was able to download it and find the correct pages. Looks like I just have to be patient and gentle with the trim! I'm tucking that big service manual file in safe place. :) Thanks again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

View attachment 174669
View attachment 174668
Finished the job! When I saw the structure of the steering wheel trim, I decided to go for it. I also found another video that shows the process:

If you don't want to watch, here's how to do it, y'all (proceed with caution at your own risk):

1. Turn the steering wheel 180 degrees, so the bottom is at the top. Use the tilt feature to pull it as far out and down as possible.

2. Disconnect the battery. I waited a full hour to be careful.

3. There are two small holes on the back of the steering wheel. Stick a small screwdriver in there, pointing the tip toward the outside of the wheel. You'll feel some metal in there. That's a clip that holds the horn/airbag in place on the steering wheel. Pull the screwdriver handle toward the outside (pushing the tip of the screwdriver toward the center of the wheel). The airbag/horn assembly will loosen, hopefully. Do the same to the other hole. Ideally, it will loosen enough that it will pop out. Otherwise, you might have to pry it off, once those little clips are loosened. Allow the horn/airbag to sit on the steering wheel. There is no need to disconnect it.

4. Disconnect the data cables from the radio and cruse assemblies.

5. There's a little area under reach of the assemblies where you can put your finger. I pulled from there. I used firm, steady pressure to pull the trim free. The clips will come loose. The bottom of the trim (which is now at the 12:00 position on your wheel, since you turned it in step one) was the toughest part to loosen. Pull it with the firm, steady pressure, and it will come free.

6. Once free, the assembly is attached to the trim with at T20 screw. Remove the old one and replace it with the new assembly.

7. Starting with the top, press the trim back into place on the steering wheel. Use the firm, steady pressure to put it back without breaking it.

8. Reconnect the data cables, press the horn back into place (just push it with force) and reconnect the battery.

Good luck -- and another big thanks to SlyBob for the link to the service manual!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts