GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone that has replaced the bulb - did you manage to see how the enclosure fits into the area? Is there an obvious/easy way to replace the entire light assemble/no need to pull the entire bumper?

Reason I ask is that I picked up a replacement assembly to chop up and mod with a power LED. Not sure yet if I'll go with a single 30W LED package (Cree XHP70), or four separate LEDs (Cree Easywhite) - I will have to see what I have in inventory for boost vs buck drivers.

As long as installation is straight-forward, I figure the mod will be one evening's worth of work, and a huge improvement. By increasing output and making the reflector more shallow, that limiting cone-of-light should mostly go away.

·
Registered
2013 Volt 98,000 miles
7 Posts
No need to remove the bumper. There is, however, an air deflector which is held in by nine bolts on the bottom. Remove this, and the housing is secured with 4 more bolts to the lower fascia.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No need to remove the bumper. There is, however, an air deflector which is held in by nine bolts on the bottom. Remove this, and the housing is secured with 4 more bolts to the lower fascia.
Perfect - thanks for the information! I had a swamped weekend so I wasn't able to look yet myself (first yard work this year!).

If you recall, is it tight around there, or is this thing just floating with open space around it? I'm just curious if I should try starting fabrication before I get a look at the area. I just need an idea of how much space I have to work with for heatsinking - if it's open to the sides, I'd just mount some square rectangular heatsink and let it hang. See attachment.

s-l1600.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts