GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there,

I am thinking of installing a full view HD cam rearview display in place of the existing rearview mirror to improve visibility in my wife 2017 Volt.

Given the Voxx Gentek (model used on the Bolt) is way too expensive, I am leaning towards cheaper alternative like below which appear to have pretty good quality rearview camera (1080p 170-deg)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BVYHHQM/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

My questions are the following:
  • Has anyone installed one of these high definition mirror cam, if so how do you like it?
  • Has anyone removed the existing auto dimming mirror on the Gen2, are there any difficulty doing that given it has power?
  • Does anyone know what wires go to the existing auto dimming mirror, what voltage and amps they carry, so I can see if the power could be re used for the new mirror (less wiring)?
    EDIT: Found this thread
    https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthrea...imming-Mirror-w-HomeLink-Compass-Installation
  • Does any one have experience with hiding wiring to the rear camera with tips and eventually video?

Thank you for any inputs

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
The problem is the reflective surface on the one I tested. I saw too much of the interior, and not enough of the rear view camera.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I would see if you could test drive a Bolt with one before committing. I personally don’t like it and have real issues using it. As I am older, I have lost my close vision and the mirror is too close, so if it’s a screen I can’t focus. As a mirror it works fine since the focal length is much longer.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
You also lose a lot of your depth perception looking at a video display vs. looking through a mirror. They are great for going in reverse, but I am not convinced they are as good for forward driving. I used one in a Chevy Traverse recently. Also be aware that the height above the road of the Volt camera is low. You get a better camera view if the camera is mounted at the top of the vehicle.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I would see if you could test drive a Bolt with one before committing. I personally don’t like it and have real issues using it. As I am older, I have lost my close vision and the mirror is too close, so if it’s a screen I can’t focus. As a mirror it works fine since the focal length is much longer.
Interesting point, and good suggestion, I will try to get my wife in a Bolt with the Gentek to make sure she does not have an adverse reaction to it.

Is your experience with the Bolt Gentek mirror?
If so, how is the interference between the mirror reflection and the camera display?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem is the reflective surface on the one I tested. I saw too much of the interior, and not enough of the rear view camera.
This is one of my main worry.
In the various reviews, people mention angling the mirror a bit away from the actual rear window reflection, or boosting the brightness help make it workable.
Can I ask which models you tested?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You also lose a lot of your depth perception looking at a video display vs. looking through a mirror. They are great for going in reverse, but I am not convinced they are as good for forward driving. I used one in a Chevy Traverse recently. Also be aware that the height above the road of the Volt camera is low. You get a better camera view if the camera is mounted at the top of the vehicle.
I agree the position should be higher up either on the roof or on the inside top of the hatch, this is my plan for testing a mounting position.

I am not so worried about depth perception as I don't really care for anything else than right behind me.

I do know you have to get use to the fact that cars you see in the wide angle view are way closer than they appear, but I am sure that you would get use to knowing that.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
This is one of my main worry.
In the various reviews, people mention angling the mirror a bit away from the actual rear window reflection, or boosting the brightness help make it workable.
Can I ask which models you tested?
Just the Chicom right now since it was cheap. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HL3J2XF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The video recorder and imaging is excellent, but is missing MPH data. If the LCD was more powerful, it probably would have worked. Note that I did drive 4 hours in traffic recording and testing, trying different angles and such. I think it's problem is, is that it has an OFF setting that allows it to be used as a glass mirror, so they made it reflective on purpose, and my car has a glass roof. It might work better in the Volt. It attaches to the front of your existing rear view mirror. You swipe your finger on it, and it switches from rear to front view, and swiping up or down changes the angle of viewpoint (remember a rearview mirror is long and skinny, and a camera is not, so you are just panning the image up and down).

If it wasn't for the reflection problem, I'd say it was a keeper and a bargain. Good video quality, instant on when you power up, you can take stills, one wire back camera (two if you want to use it as a backup camera instead of always on).

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
.... If you are driving forward, how much depth perception do you need of things behind you? Can you not tell the difference between a Peterbuilt 50 feet back and 500 feet back with one eye closed? And what would you do differently anywhat? The truck driver can see six cars ahead of you and probably knows when you need to brake sooner than you do.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
If you often drive faster than the limit, you need to see if a car 1/4mi+ behind you has police lights. Since many PDs have switched to SUVs it has made the ID harder. So it has to be pretty high resolution if you need that ability. The current crop of digital rearviews are inferior to the human eye.

·
Registered
248 Posts
.... If you are driving forward, how much depth perception do you need of things behind you? Can you not tell the difference between a Peterbuilt 50 feet back and 500 feet back with one eye closed? And what would you do differently anywhat? The truck driver can see six cars ahead of you and probably knows when you need to brake sooner than you do.
I agree with this thought. I have the Cadillac CTS version of the HD rear view camera mirror, and honestly I don't see a depth perception issue with it at all (and I'm a bit "sensitive" to depth perception to begin with in that I perceive depth perception "well"). It took about an hour of driving before I got used to the new mirror (which I can switch off and revert to a standard mirror if I want). The camera mirror provides me with a much superior rear view, especially as there is nothing to obstruct the view (like rear pillars, passengers or a dirty back window) and there is a much wider rear view so I can see more to the sides.

If the option for a rear camera mirror had been available for our new 2019 Volt, we would have ordered it. An aftermarket add-on? No.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Do you get any reflection interference between the actual mirror and the display?
None. The intensity of the display is adjustable and auto-adjusts for lighting conditions. Oh and there's a "camera washer" to keep the camera itself clean.

Although it's an animation, this video https://my.cadillac.com/learn/video?videoId=5617004792001 shows the various features of the mirror that I described in my prior post. It's accurate relative to the field-of-view comparison.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts