GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Less than a month into ownership, the passenger side mirror trim was vandalized and broken while parked on the street. Just the black plastic part on the bottom, not the cowl painted to match the body. I called two dealers and got two quotes to replace - both around $450 but interestingly, one quoted $280 for the replacement part and the other $220. After labor, they were about equal. I found the part online at GM parts for $150 + shipping.

So my question is, can anyone point me to a guide for how to remove the trim pieces necessary for me to replace it myself? I found a video online for a Gen1 Volt, but the interior trim on the Gen2 seems different enough, particularly at the mirror connection point, that I'm a little fearful of getting stuck midway.

Thanks for your help. I'm sensing that knowing how to do this is going to come in handy. The plastic trim is so flimsy that I can easily see this happening again.

·
Registered
558 Posts
This procedure, with some pictures is included in the Factory Service Manual. The material is copy-written, so I can't post it but you have two ways of obtaining it:

1) You can order the official Factory Service Manual from Helm Inc. in printed form or in a secured USB dongle (USB is less expensive) http://www.helminc.com/helm/search_service_owner.asp?Style=helm&class_2=CHV

2) You can get a 3 day subscription ($20) to GM's Service Information Site and navigate to the materials there, where you can print and save them off, along with Service Bulletins and a lot of other information: https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/home

* The catch with all of this is that the procedures reference other procedures, so you will have to poke around for multiple procedures to do the full job. (ie: The mirror removal procedure will reference a separate door trim removal procedure in a different place of the manual, which you will also need.) So, if you get the 3 day subscription, you'll need to invest the time to make sure you have everything you need before you get into the job.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts