GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had to replace the charge port door cover? We have a summit white 2016 and most of the plastic retaining clips holding it on to the actual swivel door are broken— it’s on the car still, but barely, so it looks like it needs to be replaced.

I looked online you can order a door for about $10 and then it cost about another $10 to ship it But I don’t know if it’s already painted it doesn’t indicate what color comes in at all.

Is this something that anyone can order with the color, or do you have to actually have to order it then have it painted?

The car is still under the b2b warranty — I don’t know if they’ll cover this, I have no idea how those retaining clips got broken.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
417 Posts
Has anyone had to replace the charge port door cover? We have a summit white 2016 and most of the plastic retaining clips holding it on to the actual swivel door are broken— it’s on the car still, but barely, so it looks like it needs to be replaced.

I looked online you can order a door for about $10 and then it cost about another $10 to ship it But I don’t know if it’s already painted it doesn’t indicate what color comes in at all.

Is this something that anyone can order with the color, or do you have to actually have to order it then have it painted?

The car is still under the b2b warranty — I don’t know if they’ll cover this, I have no idea how those retaining clips got broken.

Thanks

Still under warranty.........dealer's problem :D

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
I have no idea how those retaining clips got broken.
Someone walked into the open port door, that's how that happens.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I saw someone posted that 'walking into the door' resulted in denting the fender on their Volt when the door bent back into it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
I saw someone posted that 'walking into the door' resulted in denting the fender on their Volt when the door bent back into it.
That port door must have a mighty strong plastic hinge arm ...

·
Registered
792 Posts
I had to replace mine (siren red) when my kids and their friends were rough-housing near my car and one of them ran into it while it was charging and snapped the plastic door cover in half.

I opted to have the dealer handle the replacement as the car was only a few months old at the time. From what I understand, the plastic piece comes unpainted from the factory. The dealer then sent it out to get painted and then reattached it. Total cost was $180 (most of which was the painting of the part).

As an aside, the color they painted the part is slightly darker than my car and it irks me every time I look at it although most people probably wouldn't even notice it.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had to replace mine (siren red) when my kids and their friends were rough-housing near my car and one of them ran into it while it was charging and snapped the plastic door cover in half.

I opted to have the dealer handle the replacement as the car was only a few months old at the time. From what I understand, the plastic piece comes unpainted from the factory. The dealer then sent it out to get painted and then reattached it. Total cost was $180 (most of which was the painting of the part).

As an aside, the color they painted the part is slightly darker than my car and it irks me every time I look at it although most people probably wouldn't even notice it.
Thanks. I suspected it comes unpainted. They had to replace the gas cap door on our Town and Country and it too does not quite match the rest of the van....

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Almost impossible to colour match especially in small quantity batch like painting a door cover. Paint fades especially red. You don't notice it unless you have some comparison. The technique usually used is to fade it in on a panel. Something like the hatch door which is done on its own you will notice a difference however subtle it is.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Almost impossible to colour match especially in small quantity batch like painting a door cover. Paint fades especially red. You don't notice it unless you have some comparison. The technique usually used is to fade it in on a panel. Something like the hatch door which is done on its own you will notice a difference however subtle it is.
Yeah and our Town and Country was red! Obviously it has lightened over time. Oddly enough, I actually like the faded (slightly lighter) shade better.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Since the door is essentially a permanent installation, I would attempt to cobble together some kind of fix, such as super glueing some cut drywall anchors to the plastic or even slathering the inside with silicone adhesive and taping it in place while it dries. Then it will not come off easily--ever.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since the door is essentially a permanent installation, I would attempt to cobble together some kind of fix, such as super glueing some cut drywall anchors to the plastic or even slathering the inside with silicone adhesive and taping it in place while it dries. Then it will not come off easily--ever.
I was thinking of that. Will try to do it. Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts