GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and can not find a good step by step video.
Are there any special precautions / procedures to look out for or is it straight forward like any other car?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Nothing special about replacing the 12 volt battery. Make sure the car is off and the key fob is away from the car so not to wake up any modules. The car should be good to start up after the replacing of the battery unless there was a issue prior to the battery replacement.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
It is just like any other car except it is in the back.
Disconnect the negative connection first, then on the new battery, reconnect the negative last.

·
Administrator
20,196 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Just make sure you get an AGM battery, NOT just a regular one. I had a couple of auto places try to sell me a regular battery because it was cheaper, but having a non-AGM is not a good idea for a battery that is inside the car with you.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nothing special about replacing the 12 volt battery. Make sure the car is off and the key fob is away from the car so not to wake up any modules. The car should be good to start up after the replacing of the battery unless there was a issue prior to the battery replacement.
How far away is good? Thanks for that. I also read something about the Nav back up battery (BUB)?

Just make sure you get an AGM battery, NOT just a regular one. I had a couple of auto places try to sell me a regular battery because it was cheaper, but having a non-AGM is not a good idea for a battery that is inside the car with you.
Got a duracell AGM from Sam's.....$114 out the door :)

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Still running on the OE 12v battery here in warm AZ. In 7+ years I have never felt it needed to be replaced, even though many have suggested it for various reasons. I don't see that it is a big concern if it expires. It's not life or death, just an inconvenience. Maybe being retired has flavored my outlook on what is important.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
I have searched and can not find a good step by step video.
Are there any special precautions / procedures to look out for or is it straight forward like any other car?
If you have a 12V jump starter battery pack you may want to connect the jump starter alligator clip leads to the + and - posts located under the Volt's hood before your disconnect the 12V AGM battery terminal connections at the rear. This will maintain any settings or vehicle systems/status while the 12V AGM is being changed. Some auto centers will plug a 12V power source into the accessory plug but on the Volt the accessory port is not powered on when the Volt is not running so you would need to use the terminal posts under the hood (the + and - posts are on the driver's side near the fire wall. See your Volt Owner's manual if you are in doubt.)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all.....battery replaced without incident...I did put my jump pak on the front terminals.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts