GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

After 4 years of use in the coldest of winters and hottest of summers, the latching mechanism on my clipper creek EVSE broke. The plastic tab that latches it to the J1772 port snapped off the other day as I tried to unplug it and is now nowhere to be found. It functions perfectly electrically, and if I just push it into the port, it charges without a problem, but I'd really like to have the latching mechanism so it doesn't disconnect or have a loose connection.

Does anyone know where I could source just this part, or if not, a replacement handle? I wouldn't mind taking apart the handle and replacing that one part, but I don't know where I'd be able to buy one or source the file to 3d print one.

Clipper creek doesn't seem to have it listed on their website but there seem to be a lot of Chinese knockoffs out there.

Pics for reference:
Hood Wheel Tire Automotive tire Bumper

Hand Finger Tool Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
OpenEVSE home charger, 2013 Volt base, added tow hitch, K&N filters, 3d printed interior mods, etc
154 Posts
OpenEVSE sells entire J1772 handles. Not sure about just the latch part. That looks like the same design as the "Duosida" version that is used in a ton of products. It would be worth asking Chris about it though. Phone number for support is on their website, he's good about answering during normal business hours.

Also, I used my OEM L1 charger with that latch busted off for more than a year, no issues. Just be sure to press the release button, then take a breath before pulling, to make sure the contacter in the EVSE got the signal and opened before pulling the handle out. Your charging experience may vary, though.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had forgotten about OpenEVSE. I'll take a look and see what they offer.

Yes, I've been doing the same thing (pressing the button to disconnect the contacts, then just pulling it out). It seems to be fine. My only concern is as winter hits and the whole assembly is subject to snow and ice if there will be any issues. We shall see!

·
Registered
OpenEVSE home charger, 2013 Volt base, added tow hitch, K&N filters, 3d printed interior mods, etc
154 Posts
I found snow and ice to be more of an issue on plugging in, not plugging out. Wouldn't be hard to make a cover for the charge port + handle if it's a concern, though. I've been known to use an old towel and bungee cord for really bad storms, even...

·
Administrator
23,086 Posts
I found snow and ice to be more of an issue on plugging in, not plugging out. Wouldn't be hard to make a cover for the charge port + handle if it's a concern, though. I've been known to use an old towel and bungee cord for really bad storms, even...
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Fender

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

1 - 5 of 5 Posts