GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have any recommendations on good brands of replacement aftermarket filters for the Volt?

My Volt has a lot of miles and the original engine air filter must go. The dealer wants a good amount for a replacement part and the aftermarket store brands like Purolator and Fram, etc., are much less. They are all basic paper filters. Is there something magical about the stock Delco filters (which, frankly, I don't know who even manufactures, or where), or are the aftermarket brands OK to use as well.

Not talking about high-flow, oiled filters like discussed the other thread, just plain, ordinary disposable filters.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I'm not a big fram oil filter fan anymore either.

At least with a paper disposable filter you can look at how it's made. Go to the auto parts store, pop one open and take a look at it. Bring your old one with you. If it lines up and when you bend it a little nothing creaks, cracks, or breaks. I'd go with it. I am assuming you are not worried about a warranty. Not that the dealer can just arbitrarily say "not OEM air filter, denied", but for $10 if I don't have to go through that should that happen.... And I see that list for the OEM is $24 online, Gmpartsdirect is funny. $12.33 for the filter and $10 to ship it... And the parts store by me wants $25 for the Fram and STP is $19. Faced with those choices for me, I'd be ordering online and letting UPS deliver it to me rather than spending the energy to go get it.

What are you finding the others for, pricewise?

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
For my other ice vehicles I had been upgrading to K&N filters for the perceived performance bump (other than a different noise, I don't really know if there really is any additional HP) but for a volt it seems silly as it probably won't add any hp since it is battery or generator driven. If the car is still under warrantee, I'd just pay a little extra for the AC delco one to not risk any codes or other issues cause by saving a few bucks. My cold air intake for the CTS used to throw codes whenever it was raining or there was lots of moisture in the air, but the roaring noise it added was interesting. Now I only use it in the summers and switch back to the factory box in the winter

·
Registered
528 Posts
Just stick with OEM filters and call it a day. It is really worth saving a few bucks to go with parts of unknown quality? You have a 100,000 mile warranty on the engine. Use OEM filters.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A Purolator paper filter at Advance Auto Parts is $10.89. On Amazon the Fram air filter is about $10.50 and Ecoguard paper filters are less than $9.52.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Good to know. All I can find are filters the same price as the dealer. AutoZone is a rip-off here (apparently), Pep Boys doesn't have them. I seached O-reilly's where I am moving to - they were worse!

llninja - no reason to make the generator any louder than it already is. It already scares me when I am stopped at a light the ICE revs up unexpectedly.

twoheeldrive has a point, but the dealer has to prove the air filter caused the failure... That is choice you need to make for yourself. They could also blame you for installing it incorrectly as well.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
A Purolator paper filter at Advance Auto Parts is $10.89. On Amazon the Fram air filter is about $10.50 and Ecoguard paper filters are less than $9.52.
So how much is the AC Delco filter?

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
So how much is the AC Delco filter?
Nevermind. I did a quick search of gmpartsdirect.com. MSRP is about $24. Discounted online is about $13. Don't cheap out on $3 (or $14) and just get the AC delco.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Never have had a problem with a Fram filter. Only filter that has caused me a problem was a Sears branded one on a Mazda RX2. That one was caused by a bad base gasket that blew out, causing loss of all lubricant. This covers over fifty years of maintenance for me.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
How does an air filter have anything to do with blowing out a gasket and losing lubricant? Or are you talking about an oil filter. The original post was about an air filter.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just an update -- none, absolutely none of three of the big local chain auto parts places, Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, and O'Rielly's even had the Volt filter in stock today. Serves me right for not calling first. They all said they would have to order it from the warehouse. So I drove around all over the city for nothing this afternoon. The Purolator filters (big surprise...) are made in China. The OEM filter in the car I saw is marked made in the USA. I hope the aftermarket replacement Delco version is also made in US, if I get it. It's an absolutely miniscule air filter. One of the smallest ones I have ever seen. But then again, the engine is tiny too. I'll see what the cheapest I can get the Delco filter for. If I can get one quickly I may just go with that. I don't want to keep driving with a dirty air filter and gum up the intake system again.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Just an update -- none, absolutely none of three of the big local chain auto parts places, Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, and O'Rielly's even had the Volt filter in stock today. Serves me right for not calling first. They all said they would have to order it from the warehouse. So I drove around all over the city for nothing this afternoon. The Purolator filters (big surprise...) are made in China. The OEM filter in the car I saw is marked made in the USA. I hope the aftermarket replacement Delco version is also made in US, if I get it. It's an absolutely miniscule air filter. One of the smallest ones I have ever seen. But then again, the engine is tiny too. I'll see what the cheapest I can get the Delco filter for. If I can get one quickly I may just go with that. I don't want to keep driving with a dirty air filter and gum up the intake system again.
Amazon has a few. Amazon says that it does not fit my 2013 but it is the correct model number.
http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-A3148C-Professional-Cleaner-Element/dp/B004JBCB2Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1401667131&sr=8-2&keywords=A3148C

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

I learned a long, long time ago to call for pricing and availability. In fact, now when I call I ask them to MAKE sure they have it and to just leave it on the counter for me to pick up.

A dirty air filter, filters more than a clean one, so you are reducing the amount of air the motor can use. Still isn't good.

You can carefully use a vacuum cleaner hose and suck up some of the dirt. I have a shop vac that I use to either blow the dirt off or vacuum it up. I did this waiting for an air filter for my truck to come it. Mainly I just wanted to get the bug parts off it. I drove during "june bug" mating season in Florida. (which isn't in June, go figure).

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
I looked at my air filter while I was doing my 45k mile maintenance and it's still like new. No dirt, bugs, discoloration, nothing. The outside looked as clean as the inside.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I looked at my air filter while I was doing my 45k mile maintenance and it's still like new. No dirt, bugs, discoloration, nothing. The outside looked as clean as the inside.
Do you know how many of those 45k miles are ICE miles? It seems a proxy measurement for air filter replacement would be engine oil life. Both are ICE use parameters.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Do you know how many of those 45k miles are ICE miles? It seems a proxy measurement for air filter replacement would be engine oil life. Both are ICE use parameters.
About 20%, or 9,000 miles. Practically a newborn in gas years :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts