GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Four new BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S PLUS SIZE: 215/50ZR17
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+COMP-2+A/S+PLUS&partnum=15WR7GFC2ASPXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes#testResults
Installed/Balanced/Aligned 7/27/20 $607

Same size and width as the Michelins, but really feels like bigger contact patches. Prolly just the deeper tread, which does wrap around, but this design is also a bit more squared off in shape. They do look fatter somehow. Anyway lateral grip and braking is noticeably improved, and definitely better launching. I think I hear them a bit more on some surfaces, and especially under hard acceleration I notice the sound of that deep tread kinda digging in. But still pretty quiet overall. Comfort over rough pavement seems the same or better, nearly luxurious on smooth roads just like the Michelins. We'll soon see if my EV mileage/efficiency takes a hit.
Think I'll be liking 'em.

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
648 Posts
Your new tires are 4 lbs heavier and a higher load rating than your OEM tires so you should notice a more firm ride than before. There will be a range hit, especially at first as with all new tires. Suggest you use 40 psi even though the tire shop probably put the 36 psi OEM tire pressure in it to minimise the range hit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your new tires are 4 lbs heavier and a higher load rating than your OEM tires so you should notice a more firm ride than before. There will be a range hit, especially at first as with all new tires. Suggest you use 40 psi even though the tire shop probably put the 36 psi OEM tire pressure in it to minimise the range hit.
Thanks for your reply. I was running my old OEM Michelins at 40psi and they handled better in the twisties pumped up that way. But near their end of treadlife (27K miles) there was measurable edge wear inside and out on all 4 tires despite regular rotation and alignment mtce. I will break these in for 500 miles or so at the mfg spec 36psi and see. The BFGs feel much more confident gripwise in all directions, and I'm more about handling than EV range really. But the Michelins were giving me @ 4.5 mi/kwh or a little more on avg, and I will report back on the efficiency I get with the new ones.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
For comparison, I had 4/32 left on my 2011 Goodyears when they were replaced at 70k miles. I keep them at 40psi and rotate every 7500 miles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For comparison, I had 4/32 left on my 2011 Goodyears when they were replaced at 70k miles. I keep them at 40psi and rotate every 7500 miles.
I know there are a lot of variables in the treadlife equation, but it's still amazing to me how large the differences are I see reported here. I really enjoy driving my 2017 Volt on all manner of roads but spend much of my drive time on twisty less-traveled country roads rather than highways. The OEM Michelins were at 4-5/32 on all 4 wheels @ 27k miles and not feeling too confident in the wet. I hope I'll be happy with my new BFGs.

·
Registered
751 Posts
it's still amazing to me how large the differences are I see reported here
I've noticed that too. My Michelins gave out at around 35k - but the treadwear was actually fine. Two tires started leaking air at a noticeable rate (had to fill them every day or two), and one of them had a bulge. At first I thought they got damaged by a rock or something, but in hindsight I think I just wasn't particularly careful with keeping them inflated properly. They were always slowly leaking air, and sometimes I didn't notice until I got a notification from the app. I'm guessing that driving with them underinflated made the problem worse, and ultimately resulted in sidewall damage.

Lesson learned. With the new Continentals I put on, I keep the speedometer info screen on tire pressure so I can respond immediately if I notice a tire is low, and also I keep the tires at around 38 to 41, depending on temperature. They've been rock solid for more than a year now - I think I added air once.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've noticed that too. My Michelins gave out at around 35k - but the treadwear was actually fine. Two tires started leaking air at a noticeable rate (had to fill them every day or two), and one of them had a bulge. At first I thought they got damaged by a rock or something, but in hindsight I think I just wasn't particularly careful with keeping them inflated properly. They were always slowly leaking air, and sometimes I didn't notice until I got a notification from the app. I'm guessing that driving with them underinflated made the problem worse, and ultimately resulted in sidewall damage.

Lesson learned. With the new Continentals I put on, I keep the speedometer info screen on tire pressure so I can respond immediately if I notice a tire is low, and also I keep the tires at around 38 to 41, depending on temperature. They've been rock solid for more than a year now - I think I added air once.
I do the TPMS/psi screen 99% of the time. I do wish more cars would let you keep this displayed in a more permanent spot.

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
648 Posts
I also keep the tire pressure screen on all the time, just to get as much notice as possible of an issue, especially on a long drive. I am also running Bridgestone run flats

·
Registered
154 Posts
I am replacing my oem Michelins now. I do them myself, same as motorcycle tires, so it takes about a week to get all four done. Anyways, too soon to know, but the new Michelin A/S Premier tires seem a bit heavier, and have a slightly different tread design, especially around the edges. Still got two to go, I'll report back once I get a few thousand miles on them.

My oem Michelins were fine tread wise at 35k miles. Could have gone another 20k if necessary. I picked up a hex key in the right rear that ruined the tire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+COMP-2+A/S+PLUS&partnum=15WR7GFC2ASPXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes#testResults

Same size and width as the Michelins, but really feels like bigger contact patches. Prolly just the deeper tread, which does wrap around, but this design is also a bit more squared off in shape. They do look fatter somehow. Anyway lateral grip and braking is noticeably improved, and definitely better launching. I think I hear them a bit more on some surfaces, and especially under hard acceleration I notice the sound of that deep tread kinda digging in. But still pretty quiet overall. Comfort over rough pavement seems the same or better, nearly luxurious on smooth roads just like the Michelins. We'll soon see if my EV mileage/efficiency takes a hit.

To me the one thing I look at first is road noise, followed by how many miles I will get from the tire. I look at Tire Rack Website for a lot of this info.; by then go shopping for the tires I want.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Ok this is not precise science or anything but...
I've run some numbers on the Volt's EV efficiency comparing the OEM Michelin Energy tires (near end of life) to the new BFG g-Force tires. Very comparable driving courses and speeds, roughly 450 miles on each set.
Michelins averaged 4.84 miles/Kwh (207 wh/mile)
BFG g-Force averaged 4.16 miles/Kwh (241 wh/mile)
Full charge summertime GOM estimates have fallen from @63 miles to @57 miles.
Some expected mitigating factors include both increased grip in all directions with the BFGs, and the more spirited driving that encourages. I'm enjoying the improved handling and feel the 10-15% efficiency hit a very worthwhile tradeoff.
I've just now increased inflation from 36psi to 40psi, so it will be interesting to do another calculation in another 400-500 miles at this higher pressure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts