GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My window regulator clips broke, obviously, on my volt. No big deal, so I thought. I bought the new clips and they arrived no probem. Replacing them is a problem. The clips are right, the regulator is out, the wire is spooled up properly and not kinked, but in replacing the clips I'm missing about 3/4" or so to get the wire to seat the clip. Anyone see a vid on how to replace the clips specifically, not replacing the entire regulator? I would prefer to keep this a $12 fix with the clips rather than buying an entire regulator I don't really need.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I replaced the clips on mine. The cable needs to be removed from one of the pulleys in order to hook it into the clip, then the cable needs to be routed back around the pulley. That's the hard part. If I recall correctly, there are some holes in the pulley that I was able to hook a pair of 90 deg c-clip pliers into for leverage. Just get the cable as far onto the pulley as you can then rotate the pulley with the pliers to pull the cable on the rest of the way.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Not the greatest video but this might help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and ordered the full regulators -the motors. I'll likely fix the ones I have and ebay them. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I tired to repair the plastic clips on mine(both sides had one broken for a total of 3!) and it took way too long. Like 4 hours too long; and I was still unsuccessful. I could not get the motor's pulley to retain the cables. So I broke down and bought new regulators.

Upon studying the failure of the clip, I found they all failed in the same way. I was determined to spend a few minutes to improve their design. So, here's what I did: I cut up 3 nails per clip with a dremel so they'd fit along the weak spots in the clip. I then excessively JB-welded the nails to the clips along the weak spots. The clips are so robust now that they will likely never fail again. I recommend reinforcing the clips on any Gen1 window regulator otherwise they're going to fail eventually, too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tired to repair the plastic clips on mine(both sides had one broken for a total of 3!) and it took way too long. Like 4 hours too long; and I was still unsuccessful. I could not get the motor's pulley to retain the cables. So I broke down and bought new regulators.

Upon studying the failure of the clip, I found they all failed in the same way. I was determined to spend a few minutes to improve their design. So, here's what I did: I cut up 3 nails per clip with a dremel so they'd fit along the weak spots in the clip. I then excessively JB-welded the nails to the clips along the weak spots. The clips are so robust now that they will likely never fail again. I recommend reinforcing the clips on any Gen1 window regulator otherwise they're going to fail eventually, too.
Thanks, I'll definately look into this. This seems like an easy point of failure to address while they are out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts