GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Volt Peeps,
I just bought a used 2011 Volt last week...it was a great deal and I bought used because I couldn't utilize the tax benefits to their full extent...also didn't want to rely on IL to send me the 4k. I am so pumped to be part of the group. I have already gotten over 42 miles per charge every day. When I get in the car each morning now, it tells me I have 46 miles range (when I first bought the car it was showing 35)....LOVE THIS CAR!

But, I don't have MyLink which is disappointing. Is it possible to swap out a 2011 stereo for a 2012 or 2013 to get MyLink? I have Nav, which is nice so I thought I might be able to sell my stereo to recover some of the costs.

Any thoughts? Thanks for the help!

·
4,870 Posts
It may be possible, there have been a couple posts with people showing how to swap out the radio for another radio, possibly to get MyLink just like you did. You'd have to search around a bit.

Maybe search for "Volt Radio Swap site:gm-volt.com" on Google?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I too think it's unlikely. I read an article a couple years back where a company was modding a new Camaro and it wouldn't start with the radio out. Turns out part of the computer is actually in the radio.

3,605 Posts
Hey Volt Peeps,
I just bought a used 2011 Volt last week...it was a great deal and I bought used because I couldn't utilize the tax benefits to their full extent...also didn't want to rely on IL to send me the 4k. I am so pumped to be part of the group. I have already gotten over 42 miles per charge every day. When I get in the car each morning now, it tells me I have 46 miles range (when I first bought the car it was showing 35)....LOVE THIS CAR!

But, I don't have MyLink which is disappointing. Is it possible to swap out a 2011 stereo for a 2012 or 2013 to get MyLink? I have Nav, which is nice so I thought I might be able to sell my stereo to recover some of the costs.

Any thoughts? Thanks for the help!
Afternoon Chicagovoltman,

Congrats on your Volt! Great to hear you are enjoying your Volt as well! In regards to your question, upgrading the radio to a MyLink radio is unfortunately not possible. The vehicle is highly integrated and contains changes year over year, which is also why the Hold mode is not available for the 2011 and 2012 owners.

You will have a Dedicated Advisor as well. If you could PM me the last 8 of your VIN and best way to be reached I will get you connected with them!

-Ian Chevrolet EV Customer Service

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
MyLink (now called RemoteLink) uses OnStar to talk to the car. You'll need an OnStar account.

Can you use MyVolt.com? It has the same functionality.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
You ae able to go from a 2012 Non nav and Non Hard Drive and install a 2011 hard drive system with nav, the dealer does have to reporgram the radio module (as the center stack is different). I would no doubt imagine if you can find a 2013 with the features you want you would need to get both the radio head unit (brain) and also a new center stack (different button Features) and have the dealer reprogram.

Here is the link to add the 2011 system into a 2012.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?49513-How-To-Add-A-Factory-Navigation-System-W-Pictures

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
IIRC, some 2011 guys got 12v bluetooth receivers with an audio out that plugs into the aux in. MUCH easier/cheaper.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The answer is no. Even if you replace the radio, it won't work. In the pre-MyLink models the Bluetooth was built into the OnStar module. It was then moved to the radio when MyLink was introduced.

Best to just do what was already recommended and buy a third party streaming device.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the help. I will get the third party streaming device...disappointing but the 52 miles range I got yesterday made up for it :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts