GM Volt Forum banner

Replace 2011 Onstar phone connection equipment with the equipment from a 2016 volt per Onstar tech

506 6
I was just having Onstar run a diagnostic ( engine running when there was no need & not regular maintenance mode) and mentioned how I would miss the service when it terminates next month. The tech said that it could be costly but a dealer could replace the current Onstar module in my 2011 with one made for a 2016 Volt. Is this similar to what was done for the Volt owners up in Canada?

Besides the ability to get the diagnostic at th push of a button I will miss the warning when I forget to plug in my car that Onstar send via text to me and the notification that charging the battery is completed.

The $10 a month giving me those things and replacing the need for AAA made it good for me.

Roy
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2015 Red Volt
2,288 Posts
Yes, it can be done. The VCIM can come from almost any 2015+ GM vehicle. The problem is getting it reprogrammed to your VIN. One guy here replaced his and it works, but when he pushes the OnStar button, they think he is driving a Buick Verano.

· Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know if he did it himself or had a dealer do it. I could put up with having to tell an agent my car is a Volt if I could get the same services I use to. And of course wonder the cost to get it done?

· Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you know if he did it himself or had a dealer do it. I could put up with having to tell an agent my car is a Volt if I could get the same services I use to. And of course wonder the cost to get it done?
I see a used Volt VCIM on ebay now for $85. But could not do this myself.

Maybe that would give the correct car :)
Roy

· Registered
2015 Red Volt
2,288 Posts
Read this thread:

· Administrator
23,393 Posts
One guy here replaced his and it works, but when he pushes the OnStar button, they think he is driving a Buick Verano.
Bad dad pun: Does Dean Martin come on the radio?

Reactions: voltowner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts