GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help me decide!!! 2014 ELR 6,000 miles for $28,000.00
Light hit in front. They replaced with new fender and liner. Tested for 2,000miles
The seller has a good rep been around long time and does due high end repairable cars.
I checked the VIN and Cadillac-dealer said NO WARRANTY.
What do you think I should offer???

·
Registered
974 Posts
I would avoid... Any work on the drive train will cost dearly.. Even diagnoses of issues are gonna cost hundreds.. There are too many little things that cause dealer required service and I can't imagine the hourly rate of a trained voltec engineer to fix it...

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I don't understand the NO WARRANTY part. A small accident should have no effect. Do you have more information on what happened to the factory warranty? It should still be in effect. If it got pulled, it sounds more like a salvage title than a "light hit in the front" incident.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah, I would avoid. Dealer near me just sold a demo ELR with 3k miles never titled RR code for 35k. I got a great deal from them on a 13' Volt recently, so I didn't jump.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Unless a salvage car is some sort of rare car where under a 100 were made,
that is actually worth $100k+ in the open private party market
it is rarely worth paying much of anything for a salvage car.

Prior to 2001, a salvage car could sell for an amount that would make it worthwhile.
AKA you could by a $20000 car for maybe $2000 and make moderately simple repairs at low costs and have it save money enough to be worth the massive lifelong hassles.

But the junkyard market has become so inflated that many cars sell for more as junk than they do as titled and on the road.

So what I am saying is that a salvage car like that ELR is likely to be worth no more than $10k, the original value of the car is totally meaningless, miles on a salvage car are equally meaningless, once the title becomes salvage. Its only really worth the value of the metal in the car and the handfull of components that can actually be sold, which at this time is really just glass, the battery and some panels, gas motor in an ELR or Volt is worth nearly zero, suspension and other components are the same, no market for it.

I find it very sad that salvage cars demand such a high price but its the new internet age pricing system at work.

Good Luck
Ryan

·
Registered
48 Posts
The warranty should carry over unless the car was hit so hard to create a salvage title. See if you can get a copy of the collision repair order. I would not buy such a complicated car with out a warranty. Ask also to see the title and the GM warranty report.

·
Registered
266 Posts
There was an ELR with that description on eBay several weeks back in Minnesota. Story there was it was a test car used by GM and damaged and had a salvage title. That might explain no warrantee if same car. eBay ad was clear and up front. Could be same seller or someone who bought it and not being as honest or doesnt know.

Do a search of eBay completed auctions to see if it the same one.

Run a carfax it can show history of owners and accidents.

If I could get it for 15k or less Id be tempted to buy it.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
ELRs with warranty are selling in the 30's. If I could get it for half of that I might go for it. Say 15k to 18k.

·
877 Posts
keep in mind no warranty means more then just a hit there is a reason there is no warranty like the car was probably written off as salvage

1 - 12 of 12 Posts