GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Volt
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone repainted their 2013 volt roof black like earlier models or heard of someone doing this? I'd like to know about their experiences & if they noticed the cabin getting much hotter.

Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Before repainting it, I think it'd be best to just wrap it. People do it on infiniti's, Maxima's and of course many other models for a different look.

Try and google "gloss black roof wrap"

·
Registered
10 Posts
I second the recommendation for the gloss black wrap. I had this done to my Summit White 2013 Volt and you really can't tell that it isn't paint. The only thing the shop that did the work suggested was that I only go through touchless carwashes to avoid mishaps and extend the life of the wrap (5-7 years supposedly). I also had the clear paint protection applied to the front of the car at the same time so part of the suggestion might have involved that as well. I don't know how much this costs elsewhere but I'm from Massachusetts and the going rate was $350. This included taking the headliner down inside the car so they could temporarily disconnect the antenna. That way they could wrap the entire roof and then just replace the antenna with no seams around it. They did the little strip behind the roof as well and said that was actually more time consuming than the roof itself. I can post a couple photos later today when I have some more time.

Stephen

·
Registered
95 Posts
I fail to see the logic in painting (or wrapping) the roof black, the one thing I had never liked about the Volt was all the black treatment it really makes the car look like its trying to be something different, the shape alone does that.
Now if you just like the looks of the black roof then I get it, but is there another reason that I'm missing?

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
I been think of having the wife's painted diamond white to help with the heat.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I fail to see the logic in painting (or wrapping) the roof black, the one thing I had never liked about the Volt was all the black treatment it really makes the car look like its trying to be something different, the shape alone does that.
No if you just like the looks of the black roof then I get it, but is there another reason that I'm missing?
You're looking for logic where there is none... Some people just like the look and that's why they do it. Even on a Tesla S they give the option, black roof or body colored roof for no other reason than personal preference.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Anyone repainted their 2013 volt roof black like earlier models or heard of someone doing this? I'd like to know about their experiences & if they noticed the cabin getting much hotter.

Thanks for any information.
From a VW ad sent to me yesterday ( 8 myths about cars):

Black cars get hotter in hot weather.
True, but the temperature increase in the interior of dark-coloured cars exposed to strong sunlight is only marginally more than for cars of a light colour. Experts say it is one or two degrees – in the case of modern paint types the difference is scarcely measurable. Overall surface area, angle, tint, quality of glass panes, and interior fittings all have a far more significant impact, which can mean a difference of more than 20 degrees Celsius!

FWIW, I have the black roof and prefer the look of the white one. I use the sunshade and haven't noticed any great heat buildup inside the car.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You're looking for logic where there is none... Some people just like the look and that's why they do it. Even on a Tesla S they give the option, black roof or body colored roof for no other reason than personal preference.
Just making sure I wasn't missing something.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Now if you just like the looks of the black roof then I get it, but is there another reason that I'm missing?

Because it looks like an entire glass piece that stretches all the way over the roofline, connected with the windshield and rear windshield. Its a look that looks really good especially on white cars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts