GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Of course it was on Drudge. It is required to have every negative article about the Volt to be instantly linked.

A positive article, crickets.....

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
It is well known that the state department had a high level meeting at the beginning of the year where it was announced the state department could buy only one thing for 2012, either a Volt or a half a person for security detail. They chose the Volt and the rest is history. Had the car been a large SUV, there would be no story here.

Of course the above is not what happened. Such a ridiculous premise to single out one purchase out of a budget of millions and blame that purchase for an unrelated, tragic death elsewhere.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I flamed them a bit.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Quoting...

"In a May 3, 2012, email, the State Department denied a request by a group of Special Forces assigned to protect the U.S. embassy in Libya to continue their use of a DC- 3 airplane for security operations throughout the country. . .

Four days later, on May 7, the State Department authorized the U.S. embassy in Vienna [Austria] to purchase a $108,000 electric vehicle charging station for the embassy motor pool’s new Chevrolet Volts. The purchase was a part of the State Department’s “Energy Efficiency Sweep of Europe” initiative, which included hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars on green program expenditures at various U.S. Embassies.

In fact, at a May 10 gala held at the U.S. embassy in Vienna, the ambassador showcased his new Volts and other green investments as part of the U.S. government’s commitment to “climate change solutions.” . . .

Before the terrorist attack that took the lives of Ambassador Chris Stevens, Sean Smith, Glen Doherty and Tyrone Woods, there were more than 230 security incidents in Libya between June 2011 and July 2012
."

Um...

One HUNDRED and eight THOUSAND DOLLARS??? For charging?
Are these a new model with 50kWh batteries?!?

I can get a fully complete plug-n-play, ready to go solar setup, with batteries, and even grid-tied inverter, for 34.5kWh daily generation, and 20kWh battery storage,120/240 output for $57K + install. I mean complete, even down to the fuses :) (www.sunelec.com). 2 Volts simultaneously charging, overflow to the batteries and even charge at night with batteries? And excess goes to grid, if available in Austria? If no grid-tie it gets even cheaper!

They should be pissed at the WASTEFULNESS, not the Volt!
But. of course, it's the Volt's fault.

Who's turn is it, mine yet? OK - it was MY Volt's fault, D8604.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
I agree that $108k sounds like a lot, but I have no other info on what was purchased with that money or what the local constraints where. Me, I'd have used the EVSE that came with the car.

One thing I have found in traveling in Europe is that the exchange rate can mean that a $1 burger in the states is $1.50 or more overseas. So it's possible that a $57k station here would cost $85k in Europe, plus whatever extra expenses are involved in installing something like this at an existing embassy. The ONLY reason this is news is because a Volt is involved.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
This material originated at the NLPC (Mark Modica's home base). Rep. Mike Kelly is just regurgitating other people's vomit.

The $108,000.00 covered the cost of the secure contractor, and multiple charging stations were installed. It is not inexpensive to prevent enemy intelligence agencies from blackmailing the help, and having them install delayed burst transmitters. Mike Kelly knows this, which makes him even more of a turd.

Rep. Mike Kelly

·
Registered
589 Posts
In fiscal year 2012 the GOP-controlled house cut the state department's request for embassy security funding by 331 million. The year before, by 128 million. And yet the Volt gets blamed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sad for GM and Central Pa. There is no part of the USA that is a better poster child for the ravages of the industrial age run amuck, nor people who have suffered more from the kind of policies Kelly advocates. Too bad both them and GM to have to be represented by such a Neanderthal. Almost didn't buy a Volt because of dealers like him. Happily found one who was very much a part of the 21st Century.

·
Registered
26 Posts
OK, one thing. The State Department budget is line-itemed by the House of Representatives. They decide where they money goes by Bureau and/or Program.

So, Mike Kelly was responsible for NOT funding the security needed for Benghazi, as it is ultimately their responsibility. And, a point I'm sure he will love, he is also the one that approved the 'greening diplomacy' initiative that bought the charger and the Volts. Which, by the way, are saving a ton of US government money from going to Russia, which supplies most of Austria's oil needs.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
More primarily water-wind-etc powered EVs

"Austria currently produces more than half of its electricity by hydropower.[78] Together with other renewable energy sources such as wind, solar and biomass powerplants, the electricity supply from renewable energy amounts to 62.89%[79] of total use in Austria.." (source: Wikipedia)

Rep. Mike Kelly: Have a nice steaming cup of SFTU, on me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts