GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turo (formerly RelayRides), basically is like the Uber of car rental agencies. People can list their cars on the Turo site and have people book their car for a rental. But unlike Uber, you don't need to be actively working/driving to make money...just need to arrange dropoff/pickup of your car. For someone that has an extra car just sitting in the driveway, seems like a decent way to make at least some extra booze money.

There is some guy that wrote a blog about renting his cars out on Turo, and he's milking lots of cash out of his $18/month Cruze lease he got during the great Cruze giveaway late last year! Pay $18/month for his Cruze (plus $8/month insurance), rent out for $35/day for 20 days a month....anyone can like that math.
http://www.travelcodex.com/2016/01/make-money-renting-cars-with-turo/

·
4,851 Posts
There is some guy that wrote a blog about renting his cars out on Turo, and he's milking lots of cash out of his $18/month Cruze lease he got during the great Cruze giveaway late last year! Pay $18/month for his Cruze (plus $8/month insurance), rent out for $35/day for 20 days a month....anyone can like that math.
http://www.travelcodex.com/2016/01/make-money-renting-cars-with-turo/
I would be concerned about the insurance implications, or the resulting cost to properly insure for this activity. Granted, I have not done a lot (any?) research on Turo or how it works. ;)

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I could go into a whole litany of the illegal or at least questionable things I've found in rental cars and the evidence of ....um.... "activities" that I've seen, but it's just simpler to say "hell no".

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've never rented anything *out to others* on Turo, but I've used the service before and have also rented rooms/houses on Airbnb on many, many occasions (Turo is more similar to Airbnb than it is to Uber, IMHO).

As a renter, I've always liked both services and have recommended many of my friends to use Turo whenever they're looking to rent out a car short-term. One of my friends just rented a car using Turo last week, and was very happy overall.

I'm not that familiar on the renting out side of things, but Turo says "You’re protected with $1 million in liability insurance, and your car is covered against theft and physical damage." If you're at all interested in renting out, definitely look into the details of their coverage.

If you haven't used something like Turo or Airbnb before, it's probably best to familiarize yourself with the system as a renter before jumping in as someone who rents out to others. The system is very much based on reviews/verifications/trust, and some folks are simply not be comfortable with that.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I'm not that familiar on the renting out side of things, but Turo says "You’re protected with $1 million in liability insurance, and your car is covered against theft and physical damage."
I just have this vision of getting pulled over for a tail light or something and have a police dog "alert" on your car because some other renter left a bag of weed tucked in a corner of the trunk or something similarly stupid. Somehow I don't think Turo is going to protect you from that. (and before you laugh too much... I had this very thing happen with a rental car in Nevada at one point so once burned.....).

P.S. PSA - if you ever EVER rent a car in Las-Vegas... check the car out completely, trunk, under the seats, all of it. You just don't want to know!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts