GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you already knew about the Volt for rent at Eco Rental HI in Maui, but I just talked to a guy at Enterprise RAC in Kona and asked him about the Volt on their lot. (picture below) I posted about a Volt for rent in Oahu last week, and The guy that owns Bio Beetle car Rental on Maui posted about his Volt too in the past.

The exciting news is he said they have Volts on most islands, and a chargers for them.

It seems as though they have Volts on Hawaii Island (the big island), Maui, Oahu and possibly Kauai too. The cars rent under the "hybrid" category. A quick check of the website doesn't exactly confirm what the dude told me, but I trust him more than the website (they are out of date 7 times out of 10). Can we think of a more common occurrence than confusion (and miscategorization) when it comes to electric cars such as the Volt? Maybe even the Volt more so than the competition since the Volt is more than one thing, at different times. I say it might be difficult because I think they are renting this car as a substitute part of the time, since they don't explicitly categorize it on their website.

Even with all the confusion, here we are with a conglomerate (Alamo/National/Enterprise) purchasing and renting quite a few Volts at several locations in Hawaii. This is good news for EV's and GM from an exposure perspective. I will continue to research this. But for now, this is what I know for sure:
  • Hertz has a Volt for rent at HNL Airport
  • Enterprise has a Volt (with 20k miles) for rent in Kona (here on Big Isle), and they are getting a new Volt for National Rental Kona. The agent told me any car over 20k gets pushed to Enterprise from National.
  • Eco Rental Maui http://www.evcarrentals.com/ has a Volt for rent in Kahalui, Maui.
  • Alamo, National & Enterprise all rent Hybrids (some are Volts) at most locations in Hawaii, but mostly in Oahu. Here is a link to Enterprise website, listing 7 locations with hybrids & EVs in Hawaii: http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental/deeplinkmap.do?bid=2985&xparam=Hawaii-car-rental
Here is the 2012 Volt for Rent at the Kailua Kona Airport here on the Big Island
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Chevrolet volt

·
Registered
652 Posts
So how easy is it to charge them in Paradise? Do Condos/Hotels have charging ports?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So how easy is it to charge them in Paradise? Do Condos/Hotels have charging ports?
I can only speak for Kona, where I live, YES, some Hotels do have L2 charging outlets. The biggest hotels, such as the Hilton Waikoloa, Marriot, Fairmont Orchid, Hapuna Prince Hotel, Mauna Kea Hotel and probably a few others. In fact, my g/f and I stayed at Mauna Lani Hotel in Kona and charged our Volt on 110 for the weekend. They had no problems with accommodating us. The funny thing was, tho, we had just come over the mountain and had 70% battery (from 6600' of regen to sea level) when we showed up at the hotel. :)
I bet some condos would be hard, while others would be easy. Basically, if the condo has a garage, I bet you could plug in. I wonder if they leave the charger in the trunk??

·
Registered
652 Posts
I can only speak for Kona, where I live, YES, some Hotels do have L2 charging outlets. The biggest hotels, such as the Hilton Waikoloa, Marriot, Fairmont Orchid, Hapuna Prince Hotel, Mauna Kea Hotel and probably a few others. In fact, my g/f and I stayed at Mauna Lani Hotel in Kona and charged our Volt on 110 for the weekend. They had no problems with accommodating us. The funny thing was, tho, we had just come over the mountain and had 70% battery (from 6600' of regen to sea level) when we showed up at the hotel. :)
I bet some condos would be hard, while others would be easy. Basically, if the condo has a garage, I bet you could plug in. I wonder if they leave the charger in the trunk??
I'll try to remember that when we get back to the islands. I'd much rather drive a rental I'm familiar with and even running on gas only the Volt will be almost any other ICE rental anyway.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Electric rates are pretty high in Hawaii, has anyone compared the price of driving electric vs gas there?
Fred, we have a Volt so of course I've done some analysis on the cost of electrons vs. gas. It's been a tough scenario to figure out actually. Part of the problem is how many miles can we actually get out of the 13 kw (10 kw used) it takes to charge the car. We assumed before we got the car that we would be able to drive about 45 miles on one charge, costing us around $5.00 ($0.111/mile. We also assumed that gas would stay around $4.50 and that one gallon of gas would get us about 35 miles ($.129/mile). But we have a solar PV system on our house so it gets weird.... that being said...

We've had our Volt for close to 5 months now, and it seems like we are averaging about ~42 miles out of a single charge. Our range has gone up slightly as the temps have dropped to 68-75* range. Summer times temps are 72-82* so our A/C use and maybe battery cooling was driving range down to around 40~. Electricity is hard to compute b/c we have a solar PV system on our house and about 60% of our car is covered under the oversized system. Our utility charges us ~$.42/kwh., and if we have to pay to fill up car at home, that equates to about $5.40 to drive about 42 miles, or $.13/mile.

Also, as you know gas has been jumping around quite a bit and then we gotta figure out what our mpg would be on a gallon of that undetermined cost for a gallon of gas.... It's all pretty annoying. I can't even tell you what our ICE mpgs are, as we don't use the ICE for our normal every day situations. Our car is on voltstats.com if you want to take a peek. The link I shared will take you to the Hawaii volt owners page, and our car is "Voltacious" (um.. cuz it's her car). Anyway, on there, you will see that it says my ICE mpg's are 30.76. Although most times I see mpg's in the 20's b/c we are always running the motor when we are climbing our 6600' mountain pass up from our house. The motor runs at close to max rpm for most of time that it's on. As soon as we crest the summit, and drop down the other side, the ICE motor goes off and we regen the 6000' to the coast.
When we bought the Volt, gas was $4.50/gal. for premium fuel and it was looking like kwh's was definitely cheaper by a couple cents to run the car. Now gas has dropped to $4.05/gal. and I'm not so sure anymore. If we could get 40-42 mpg out of the car driving it around town... that would mean that for $4.06 we could drive about 40 miles, or $.10/mile

I'm thinking gas is cheaper now.... :-( But that's only when we exhaust our PV overage for the month.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Now gas has dropped to $4.05/gal. and I'm not so sure anymore.
Dropped to $4.05? Wow, there really is a Paradise Tax. Still, I'd rather pay that in Hawaii than freeze my a$$ off in Missouri and pay $2.69.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts