GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I renewed my XM subscription. I get the music stuff just fine but when I go to the weather and gas price pages it still says I need to renew it. Are they two separate subscriptions?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I ditched SiriusXM when they screwed with the channel lineup the last time. They removed 2 of my favorite channels and added 'today's dance hits' to Studio 54. Ariana Grande was never played at Studio 54....

Anyway -- to answer your question, these services are additional costs to your plan. If memory serves me correctly, it was an additional $3 monthly to have the weather/traffic/gas/general information sent to your screen.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
So I renewed my XM subscription. I get the music stuff just fine but when I go to the weather and gas price pages it still says I need to renew it. Are they two separate subscriptions?
Yes, they are two separate services. If you like Contemporary Christian music check out channel 63, it is wonderful and it is basically all we listen to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I added the traffic service to my XM subscription, it took about 5 manual refreshes and about a week of waiting for it to start functioning. Once that was done, the traffic it provided was so minimal and insignificant (interstates only for the most part) that I immediately had the service cancelled.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I wouldn't bother with the other XM services, they're useless. The radio service is the only thing that's worth paying for, and that's if you're on the road a lot and want a good variety of music.

Smartphones have quite sufficiently replaced a lot of the infotainment features. GPS, traffic updates, weather, and gas prices are much better, easier to use, and usually free, on smartphones. Radio is the only thing that's a little better in the car with XM, since it doesn't use data and doesn't lose the signal (Unless you're in a tunnel).

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you have a newer volt, newer than 2012
Instagram is newer with 4G and Wi-Fi. uilt in
Every service is "ala carte"

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gotcha. I won't be getting them but I figured they were the same subscription. Fun party trick I guess when showing off the car.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The cost for the traffic and weather is small, and can be retained without the radio. I drive over 50 miles per day, and traffic & weather data is very useful with the built in NAV on my 2017.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I finally axed my subscription a few months back. Got tired of having to play the "game" every 6 or 12 months. Complain about the cost and they'll offer you a year's service for $136 ($99 for XM Premier, $23.94 for Navtraffic, and $13.76 "Royalty Fee") Of course, once that year is up they'll automatically renew it for $250. Rinse, repeat, slam head into desk.

I had my fill. Their decision to cancel Utopia also ticked me off, as that's the station I listened to most often.

I see now that they're offering me 6 months of just radio for $29.94

Another annoyance: NavTraffic is $4 per month in the US ($2 if you complain) In Canada a NavTraffic subscription runs $7 per month, for the exact same data stream. A few years ago they had the gall to charge $12.

·
Registered
210 Posts
As has already been mentioned, traffic is an additional charge. I recently plunged for 5 months of radio and traffic for $41.12, but after having that for a month (including a road trip to Chicago), I don't think it's worth the money. I just don't enjoy listening to the radio all the time (NPR Now is just a bunch of talking heads) and I did not find "traffic" helpful. I'm even thinking of cancelling, if it'll be pro rata.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Here is another GOTCHA
I just received my notification to get my 2018 navigation/map update
It is $154!!!!!!
I am glad I will never get it as my smart phone does everything except unlock The doors!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts