GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Renault is serious about the electrification of the automobile! A 4X4 cross over concept that already looks like it went though the wind tunnel. Beautiful!

"powered by a by a hybrid system combining a 205hp (150kW) version of the 2.0 dCi engine with two 20kW electric motors at the front and rear which give it the capability of a 4WD vehicle. "

http://www.gizmag.com/renault-ondelios-concept/9988/gallery/picture/52324/

·
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the weirdest looking thing I've ever seen! What's with the grille.

You mean it's stranger than the grill on the beautiful Fisker Karma? ;)

I guess it will take time for people to realize these cars really don't need a grill! Design change will take longer than technology change.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I think Renault is serious about the electrification of the automobile! A 4X4 cross over concept that already looks like it went though the wind tunnel. Beautiful!
Only if it went through a virtual wind tunnel. This picture is CG. I'm not so sure about how serious they are. This is just like every other car company and start up right now, they just throw out a virtual idea, a concept on paper, and see how people react. It doesn't mean that they are gearing up to build this car at all. It also adds a short lived, but instant bit of green EV credibility to the company. Don't expect to see Europeans (we don't get Renaults anyhow) driving this car any time soon.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The Fisker-Karma grille makes me think of a stereotypical British fellow, with a gap in his front teeth. :-}

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
You mean it's stranger than the grill on the beautiful Fisker Karma? ;) I guess it will take time for people to realize these cars really don't need a grill! Design change will take longer than technology change.
I agree. The Fisker grill is goofy. They have everything else right in that design except that stupid Cheshire Cat grill.

Cars haven't really needed hardly any grills for decades. People just like them. The trend right now is just the opposite of the car's needs. For example just look at Audi. They've gone to the Freightliner look just for looks. Many other companies have too. Big in your face grills are popular now. The problem for designers is, if you remove the grill, there isn't much left to make the car interesting or distinctive. The buying public have told the designers over and over that they don't like generic bubble cars.

·
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Only if it went through a virtual wind tunnel. This picture is CG. I'm not so sure about how serious they are. This is just like every other car company and start up right now, they just throw out a virtual idea, a concept on paper, and see how people react. It doesn't mean that they are gearing up to build this car at all. It also adds a short lived, but instant bit of green EV credibility to the company. Don't expect to see Europeans (we don't get Renaults anyhow) driving this car any time soon.

Well, they said they are about to reveal the concept so I imagine its going to be about as far along as what the Volt was last year. They will show it and see how the public reacts to it. Then if they get a positive response they can then decide to move forward or not. If we take the timeline from the Volt that would take about 3-5 years before the first one makes it to the showroom floor. What's your point? I don't think anyone expects to see any new concept anytime soon. What are you smoking?

Oh and when I said it "looks like" it went though a wind tunnel you understand that can simply imply it has an aerodynamic shape, unlike the first Volt concept. Get it? It "looks like" it would not have to have dramatic design changes to achieve a low Cd value. You know, all the problems lately because the Volt had to be so drastically redesigned? I can't believe I have to explain that all to you.

Oh and you are not sure that Renault is serious about the electrification of the automobile?

How about articles about them working with Project Better Place to provide as many EVs as they want:

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/05/11/renaults-electric-car-debuts-in-tel-aviv/

Or that Renault-Nissan (same CEO) plan to release electric cars by 2010:

"Renault and Nissan are working on a new zero carbon emission power-train that is expected to be applied to a vehicle in 2010. The two companies are cooperating on a lithium ion battery to power the vehicle. Nissan will be focusing on the Japanese market while Renault will tackle the European fleet market"

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2006/12/11/renault-nissan-to-build-an-electric-car-in-2010/

Have you not been following the news? Put down the pipe!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yeah, intuitively it looks like a turbulence creating design… but, like many fine examples such as the Graduate, Corvette, CRX, Insight, Prius and the production Volt the coda tronca back end seems to be better aerodynamically. I guess the 911 shape is not the only design to make a car slippery.

·
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I think doing the Aptera tail is very impractical for most designs. Also, look at my Avatar and the back of the Volt (remember the wing design mod?). The Saab design was supposed to fit in with their tradition - designing fighter jets!

Anyway, If designers are working on new ECO-designs It might be a good idea to run their 3D models though the companies flow software before spending all that money building the concept. I mean GM has that software, the design was put in 3D modeling software and they could have easily ran it though to see how badly it performed. I'm guessing due to the problems we have just experienced (people disappointed with the final design) the procedure I just mentioned will be part of the concept design cycle. Maybe it will sound like this, "Nice design! What's are the estimated drag numbers?" How hard is that? ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts