GM Volt Forum banner

Removing shoe scuff marks from bottom of driver door inside panel?

6K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Btravelen 
#1 ·
We have a 2017 Volt with the jet black leather inside trim colour. It seems very easy to scuff the inside bottom front of the driver door with one's shoe upon exiting the vehicle. Normal soap and water won't remove these scuffs. I have yet to try something like "Vim", which should do it, but I wonder if its scouring agents would have a nasty effect rather than a cleaning one?? Anyone out there found a good cleaning agent for this problem??

#4 ·
Me too, and it really bugs me. Our Bolt has a much better entry space, and no problem there. I'm hoping someone will chip in on this thread with "the answer!"

#8 ·
I can't remember which cars, but in the past, I've had cars that had carpeting/felt, color-matched, on the bottom of the door. Obviously, never a scuff mark. I've wanted to do a similar mod on all subsequent cars, but never get around to it. As caskConditionedAle, said, I just stopped looking at it...or...just stop scuffing the door.

Another pet peeve...I've yet to find any car that has door sills that actually WORK! They should wrap around the outer edge of the door sill, because THAT'S what gets scuffed upon entry and exit.

#11 ·
By the way, I am NOT waiting for a Model 3 anymore....cancelled my reservation and waiting for GM to build some more pure EV's with increased range and fast charging. Or maybe the Model Y will meet my needs. In the meantime, I really am enjoying the Volt and it showcases what GM can do when they really want to.

#12 ·
OK, I had "some" success removing the worst of them. First I scrubbed them with Vim. Then I used the pink eraser on them as described by OoPEZoO above, another scrub with Vim, then a coat of ArmorAll. Looks much better, not perfect but good enough for me....

#13 ·
With regard to the white magic rub sponges, I've used that on other cars and as I recall it will eventually remove the scratches. Unfortunately, it will also take the textured look of the plastic off with it leaving the sill looking a bit dull and slightly different than the rest of the plastic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.