GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to remove the overhead console that has the map lights and on star buttons in it? Need to get it out to find power for my mirror dash cam

·
Administrator
21,211 Posts

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Before you try unsnapping any plastic part it is a good idea to warm with a hair drier to make sure the plastic is supple, less chance of breaking a clip. Not necessary in the heat of summer but it's not that now.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Before you try unsnapping any plastic part it is a good idea to warm with a hair drier to make sure the plastic is supple, less chance of breaking a clip. Not necessary in the heat of summer but it's not that now.
These clips are metal and they go into metal, so heat won't help. Best to keep this part cold as heat could cause the metal clips to chew up the plastic bezel as it comes out. (In this instance, one wants the metal clips to bite into the plastic and come out with the part.)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2016. Wonder if there was an optional something on the premium that has unused power like the radar? I'd prefer a switched power, but I can use the dome light feed if needed.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Here are the power wires in my 2018 console: (I trust your 2016 will be the same.)

20 ga Red w/ Green Stripe - Battery
20 ga Solid Grey - Console Lamp Power (Watch out! There is also a smaller 22 ga Grey wire in the bundle along with other 22 ga Grey wires with stripes. The larger wire is 7 positions away from the Battery wire on the connector. The smaller wire, the one you do not want, is right next to the main Battery wire on the console connector.)
20 ga White w/ Brown Stripe - Inadvertent Power
20 ga White w/ Yellow Stripe - Ambient Lighting Power
20 ga Solid Black - Ground

All of the other wires should be smaller gauge control and indicator wires.

I think the Console Lamp, Inadvertent, and Ambient Lighting Power wires may all be switched but I'm not sure of the exact conditions when they trigger. (I expect Inadvertent and Ambient Lighting won't give you power all the time when you want it.) You may want to put a clamp meter on them and confirm.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Unless you have a premium with the auto dimming mirror, you will not find 12v switched circuit up there- just the dome light 12v which goes out after you close the door. I ran 12v from the fuse panel tucked away on the a-pillar trim then under the front of the headliner. This turned out to be pretty easy to tuck the wire. I had to remove the overhead console to get the wire to run out to my dash cam. You really have to pull a lot harder than you will be comfortable with to pop it out, but it will come out. pro-tip: wash your hands as you will be touching the headliner with some pressure during the removal.

·
Registered
640 Posts
There are lots of "switched" circuits to the console, which are listed above.

There is a separate wire to the rear view mirror. (I'd expect this harness to be there, irrespective if the wires are being used by a Premier or not.)

The rear view mirrors are lower power (22 ga) than the console wires and include a backup light signal, so this may also be beneficial for a camera application. The rear view mirror is powered off of the ignition circuit, but the big caution there is that many other accessories are also: so the potential exists for the cameras to create interference with other systems in the car if the don't use power cleanly.

22 ga Green w/ White Stripe - Backup Light Signal
22 ga Violet w/ Green Stripe - Ignition Voltage
22 ga Solid Black - Ground

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are lots of "switched" circuits to the console, which are listed above.

There is a separate wire to the rear view mirror. (I'd expect this harness to be there, irrespective if the wires are being used by a Premier or not.)

The rear view mirrors are lower power (22 ga) than the console wires and include a backup light signal, so this may also be beneficial for a camera application. The rear view mirror is powered off of the ignition circuit, but the big caution there is that many other accessories are also: so the potential exists for the cameras to create interference with other systems in the car if the don't use power cleanly.

22 ga Green w/ White Stripe - Backup Light Signal
22 ga Violet w/ Green Stripe - Ignition Voltage
22 ga Solid Black - Ground
Thanks, several inches of snow ATM, will wait for a warm day. I'll probably put a diode in line to protect anything else on the circuit.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Used the white and brown and wire for power. It's switched and powers down a little while after exiting the vehicle. Ground to body sheet metal.
Pics of the console and mirror covers in case others need to remove them in future.

I highly recommend everyone getting a dash cam. Can be had for under $40 on Amazon. A buddy of mine is a state trooper and says that he has had several accidents where the dash cam video changed who was at fault and get the ticket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.