GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm considering purchasing a used Volt that had the dealer installed option of the large "Volt" logo that runs across the sides of the car. My wife just thinks it's quite tacky (I don't think it's that bad!). Anyhow, the price of the car is right so I'm taking a serious look at getting the car. However, I'm wondering if this logo can be relatively easy to remove without leaving any damage to the paint. I heard that the logo is a 3M vinyl stick on which "should be" easy to remove. Anyone know about this?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
You can still buy those stickers. Pick at a corner until you can get hold of it and start peelin'. If you have adhesive still on the car use a solvent like isopropyl alcohol or some such thing to remove it.

Start peelin' and enjoy the ride! ;)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Any concerns with fading due to sun exposure?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Different strokes for different folks. I'm with your wife on it, though it wouldn't stop me from getting it.

That being said, if there as some slight fading due to sun exposure, it MIGHT actually look pretty cool. As long as it was low key

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm considering purchasing a used Volt that had the dealer installed option of the large "Volt" logo that runs across the sides of the car. My wife just thinks it's quite tacky (I don't think it's that bad!). Anyhow, the price of the car is right so I'm taking a serious look at getting the car. However, I'm wondering if this logo can be relatively easy to remove without leaving any damage to the paint. I heard that the logo is a 3M vinyl stick on which "should be" easy to remove. Anyone know about this?
After peeling and removing any left over adhesive, a good compound buffing and then polish should remove any evidence it was ever there. I have removed a dealer logo and letters from the back hatch (black painted area), ended up they could still be seen after sticker removal, used Meguires Compound then Polish and that fixed it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
When I bought my 2012, it was a demo model with the Volt logos. I had the dealer take it off after I signed the paper work. It took them less than 15mins and there was no fading.?

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
good luck. I just bought a set of stickers that I am about to put on my 2013 Volt. (silver to go on black) I like the look and think that the model identification cues are too subtle for a vehicle that I consider to be radically different from every other compact sedan on the market.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Congratulations on your new Volt! I'm glad you are considering your wife's feelings; you're a good husband!

Would you let us know if there is any fading? Hopefully not, but I'd be interested in knowing.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm with your wife - those logos just look awful.

But you should be able to get the dealer to remove it for you - just make it a condition of the sale.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
add RON to the end. The kids will love it :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
The First Volt I ever looked at had been sitting on a dealer lot for months. The very night I went to look at it, it got sold before I got there. The lady that bought it just took her fingernail and got under it then started pulling. She had both sides off in under 5 minutes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Any difficulty at all, go for the hair dryer option (not a heat gun!) before reaching for any chemicals. We used to use one whenever we needed to remove stickers from race car body work. That was before the current "generation" of stickers which do seem to peel off much more easily.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
FYI: Naptha is camp fuel/Coleman fuel. WD-40 is also about 60% naphtha
I have yet to see an adhesive that naptha won't remove. In the '80s we used it to take excess contact cement off of car apholstery and headliners, paint and other surfaces (we built stretch limos). It didn't harm any of them. Alchohol, if it even breaks the adhseive down at all, tends to make it smear.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts