GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to remove the front frame. Took out the screws and got worried about the plastic clips. Has anyone done this? Is it as simple as snapping them out? Don't want to damage anything.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I want to remove the front frame. Took out the screws and got worried about the plastic clips. Has anyone done this? Is it as simple as snapping them out? Don't want to damage anything.
Many dealers use rivets. They need to be drilled out which leaves some very nice holes in your bumper.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Yup -- if the front license plate is installed from the dealer, there will be holes if you want to remove it all.

I'm so glad I asked before they did the prep on it. I told them to just toss the plate and mount in the back as I would find a better solution on my own. Here in TX a front plate is required techincally, but I've rarely run one on the cars I drive.

Best outcome now would be you might be able to find some properly sized plug inserts, if they are hard plastic you could find a close matching color. Outside of a body shop doing professional work and respraying the entire bumper I think you will always see "something" where those holes used to be.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Here in NC a front license plate is not required. Unfortunately I couldn't find a blue 2017 configured the way I want in the local market. A local dealer here found our car in Virginia and transferred it down for us. Sadly it came with a front license plate. Fortunately the drilled holes for mounting it were only in the lower grill and not in the paint. I ordered a new lower grill for about 250 bucks online and was able to easy replace the grill in about an hour. Its a pretty easy swap. You do have to take off the front part of the car that is painted to get to it but its pretty easy. I should have taken pictures. The simple steps are as follows.

1. Remove all the bolt head screws just under the front lip of the car.
2. Remove about 6 screws holding the wheel well in place on both sides of the car. 4? along the edge, one above the wheel and one behind the wheel. You don't have to completely remove it, just enough to gain access to where the fascia attaches to the fender. I turned the steering wheel to gain access depending on which side I was working on.
3. In the wheel well, at the seam between the front wrap and fender there is one screw holding it together.
4. Separate the front body fascia assembly from the fender by pulling it straight out and away from the fender.
5. In the engine compartment, remove the screws from the top edge of the front body fascia assembly.
6. Pull the fascia assembly away from the vehicle a little and undo the one wire harness connection. Put a blanket or something down on the ground. Once removed I did the rest indoors on the carpet
7. There is a large plastic piece on the backside of the assembly that has to be removed next. It has some fussy one way clips that are a pain to remove. I essentially rotated them 90 degrees so I could more easily remove them.
8. Remove the parking sensors.
9. Remove the lower grill, it also is a little fussy to remove. Use a pair of stout needle nose pliers to depress each tab so that it can slide back out of its hole for removal.

Then just reverse the process.

Part numbers for 2017's don't appear to be online yet. The part number for my 2017 was the same as the 2016 model. No surprise there. Anyway, mine has the front park assist sensors and was part number 23289646

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all! Turns out the front license plate is required in Washington state, so I won't be removing it. I wish I could though, the front end looks great by itself. I guess I'll just have to get a cool looking Volt license plate frame.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I ran my vette's sans front plate for decades, but in the last few years I have been stopped several times, the last straw for me was being denied access to the USAF base I work on. So I broke down and mounted the front plate.
Here's my post from the Corvette Forum.
http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3654024-they-win.html

In this day and age I have decided I don't want to give anyone any reason to pull me over. It's just not worth the hassle, time or money, and for what? To not have a front plate?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you so much for the info. I've moved from Maryland (front license plate required) to Florida. I've removed the bracket but I would prefer a flawless lower grille. I have a 2018 Premiere with front park assist and adaptive cruise control. I looked online and didn't have any luck. Could you share where you bought it online? Thanks in advance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts