GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife removed the charge cord in the morning while she was in garage. She just wanted to get it out of the way but wasn't planning on driving. The alarm went off and she didn't have keys with her so that wasn't fun.

Is this alarm behavior normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yes. It's an anti-theft measure. Unlock the car first, then remove the charge cord. If it's removed while locked, the alarm goes off. I think you can disable this in the settings menu.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
My wife removed the charge cord in the morning while she was in garage. She just wanted to get it out of the way but wasn't planning on driving. The alarm went off and she didn't have keys with her so that wasn't fun.

Is this alarm behavior normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, it is normal. This is the charge cord theft alert. This setting can be turned on or off. See the 2017 Volt Owner's manual page 143.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Yes, it is normal. This is the charge cord theft alert. This setting can be turned on or off. See the 2017 Volt Owner's manual page 143.
And while you're in there turning this option off, might as well turn off the alarm for when power is interrupted while charging. Nothing like have your car honk incessantly at 3am because the power went out, right? A simple Onstar text for such events is sufficient, no need to go crazy...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And while you're in there turning this option off, might as well turn off the alarm for when power is interrupted while charging. Nothing like have your car honk incessantly at 3am because the power went out, right? A simple Onstar text for such events is sufficient, no need to go crazy...
Good tip on this 2nd power + alarm setting & thank you all for the answer to the unplug question.

I need to really dig into the manual one evening after work.

·
Registered
874 Posts
It doesn't honk if the power goes out. The chirp beeps a few times every few seconds, but it doesn't honk. My dad blew a circuit running a leaf blower from the same outlet as my car, which was locked, and the alarm didn't go off - it just started beeping a lot. That was before I disabled the pedestrian sound module, of course...now it doesn't make any sound at all.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yes. It's an anti-theft measure. Unlock the car first, then remove the charge cord. If it's removed while locked, the alarm goes off. I think you can disable this in the settings menu.
MAYBE NOT!

I have routinely parked in the back yard, plugged in and left it unlocked to charge over night.

This winter I had the AGM battery go flat and had to deal with that fiasco.

Most things come back but now and then I have something amiss.

The charge door light began this saga. Sometimes when I pull the charge handle out I wont have a light, it is supposed to come on, but does not.
Sometimes it comes on like normal.

The other day I pulled the charge handle out, no light, and the alarm went off.

This is not normal.
If it keeps up the games I'll be taking her in for a check up.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
It doesn't honk if the power goes out. The chirp beeps a few times every few seconds, but it doesn't honk. My dad blew a circuit running a leaf blower from the same outlet as my car, which was locked, and the alarm didn't go off - it just started beeping a lot. That was before I disabled the pedestrian sound module, of course...now it doesn't make any sound at all.
Thanks,good to know for gen2, though I believe gen1 does honk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.