GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Ya... why would you do that?... The Volt's grill is designed to make it more aerodynamic. If you remove it, you will surely be seeing a decrease in your electric range...

·
Administrator
20,017 Posts
Unless you plan on replacing the grill with a new grill, why would you remove it?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Geez people, just slam the guy... Seriously.

I've taken all the silver/chrome pieces off my grille and had them painted black. The only chrome left on my car is the side piece.

I also have a extra full grille assembly I used to model new pieces. The grille assembly is one piece with each of the silver/chrome pieces melted and tabbed from behind. It is sold as a complete assembly.

The base piece has to connect in from behind the front bumper assembly with pop in clips similar to the ones across the front engine fascia.

I've not attempted to pull the bumper off since I've accomplished the look I wanted, but I assume you could probably remove the clips surrounding the headlights, etc... to tilt the bumper out slightly to remove the base assembly. It's pretty tight in there and nothing is accessible from below.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I've removed a grill. It's a pain, and you can easily break off tabs behind the grill that make it attach to the part that it is attached to.
Look though these and you'll see how I used 3M Reflective Black on my grill... http://www.flickr.com/photos/southwestusa/sets/72157630379404900/
In the day, my grill looks black, with a silver grid and at night, it has a soft reflective glow. Can't really be seen at night by on-coming traffic, but if my Volt somehow becomes "stranded" on the side of a road somewhere at night and my headlights are out, the grill adds a safety margin to my black Volt... I don't someone smashing into it and so many people are distracted enough these days, the reflective 3M makes a dark car a little easier to see at night.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts