GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_20110508_150031.jpg IMG_20110508_150051.jpg

To help protect my Chevy Volt keyfob from the gradual damage of daily use, I bought a set of leather keyfob protectors, "Remote Totes", like I got for my previous Nissan a couple of years ago when its keyfob broke off from the keychain.
The extra large size works well for 2010 & newer GM vehicle keyfobs that you don't have to use the physical key on a regular basis. Since you can keep the remote in your pocket when you drive your Volt, this works well. On other newer GM vehicles where you have to extend the key from the side of the remote, this won't work so well.
Once a remote tote wears out, replace it and keep your keyfob in good condition for years to come.
From Remotetotes.com, they cost $16 including shipping. I got mine from eBay seller jrct2, who is currently selling black leather totes for $12.89 with free shipping.

·
Administrator
20,463 Posts
This bring to mind a related question: Does anyone know how much an extra key fob is?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Good question.

In cannot imagine a new one would cost less than $300 which is what I paid Chrysler recently.

This bring to mind a related question: Does anyone know how much an extra key fob is?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
It's got to be their highest profit margin part to sell.

What is that, a total of $1.20 in parts and slave labor in China? And then about 30 seconds in service tech labor to program it?

Just don't lose a key. There's no way to get one cheaper. The have you by the *&%$'s.

I recall the dealer telling me $350.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really, I haven't heard of this on any other vehicle besides the Volt, but once you buy a new keyfob, you can program it yourself.
If you don't want the dealer to do it, you can probably get a locksmith to cut the key part then follow the instructions in the Volt manual to program the car to recognize the keyfob.
But still, they will be very expensive to buy.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Part number 22755323. It is about $55 at several suppliers. For example at

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=394302&ukey_product=2989370
I fell for the low-ball price on a Toyota fob once. The parts department told me the fob would be a price like $55, then after I picked it up, they told me I had to take it to the service department to be "calibrated". That cost over $100. I didn't understand that "calibration" wasn't part of the cost, and the cost not disclosed until I went to pick up the fob and the car. I haven't been back to that dealer in 5 years.

As for self-calibration, perhaps someone would be so kind as to post the procedure. I will be sure to add it to the ChrisC FAQ.

WVhybrid

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
As for self-calibration, perhaps someone would be so kind as to post the procedure. I will be sure to add it to the ChrisC FAQ.
I would guess that the fob activation procedure will come from the Volt Service Manual Set. That's probably protected by copyright. A certain amount of "it's OK to get away with that" is probably OK. But if we start quoting left and right, I don't know how that's gonna work.

How's it work for other car forums?

·
Registered
895 Posts
WVhybrid
Actually, the owners' manual has the procedure for programming a new remote, even if you don't have an operational old remote. You do have to have one with a proper physical key. Manual pages 2-4 to 2-6.

·
Registered
317 Posts
View attachment 1865 View attachment 1866

To help protect my Chevy Volt keyfob from the gradual damage of daily use, I bought a set of leather keyfob protectors, "Remote Totes", like I got for my previous Nissan a couple of years ago when its keyfob broke off from the keychain.
The extra large size works well for 2010 & newer GM vehicle keyfobs that you don't have to use the physical key on a regular basis. Since you can keep the remote in your pocket when you drive your Volt, this works well. On other newer GM vehicles where you have to extend the key from the side of the remote, this won't work so well.
Once a remote tote wears out, replace it and keep your keyfob in good condition for years to come.
From Remotetotes.com, they cost $16 including shipping. I got mine from eBay seller jrct2, who is currently selling black leather totes for $12.89 with free shipping.
Thanks for the info doubledave. I ordered one, got it today, and really like it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts