GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps this information was already covered somewhere in this forum, but I can't seem to find it. I also checked the owner's manual and it is not clear there either.

Let's say I have the Volt hooked-up to a 220V charger, then do a remote start to cool the cabin. What steps do you take when you are ready to drive off?

If I just disconnect the charger from the Volt's port, it freaks out and honks/flashes even if I am right next to it with the RKE in my pocket. I know the honking/flashing is designed to scare-off anyone tampering with the car and alert the owner that the charge has been interrupted, but I must be missing some step for a legit disconnect when the car is "running".

It seems counter-intuitive to have the turn the car off, then disconnect, then turn it on again- so that cant be it, right? Is there an RKE button to push? A secret word or incantation?

Help appreciated.

Thanks.

Mark

·
8,680 Posts
You either need to unlock the car, or go into the config menu and uncheck the charge cord alarm. The car locks itself when you remote start it, and when it is locked, if the config option for the charge cord alarm is set, it'll trip the alarm if the cord is removed.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks- I think I tried that but will try again. The car is actually unlocked already when I did this (as it was safe in it's garage bay) but maybe that will do it....

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aha- there is the missing piece of information- I did not know that the car locked itself when remote started. Before the remote start, it was not locked as it was in a locked garage.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My guess is that doing a remote start through the OnStar phone app or the MyVolt website causes the doors to become locked if they aren't already. According to the owner's manual, you have to press the door lock button on the remote before pressing and holding the remote start button for five seconds, so the doors end up locked no matter how you remote start the car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, Krellion has it right. You have to lock the doors and then press (and hold) the remote start button within a couple of seconds of locking the doors. OnStar will do both steps for you.
Either way, you have to do an unlock first, or the alarm will sound.
By the way, I remote start every morning while plugged in, but I habitually unlock the door after remote starting. I have been doing this since I got the Hybrid Tahoe back in '08.

·
Registered
484 Posts
My habit is to open the driver's door while (er, just before) unplugging - I'm going to need to open that door anyway, after all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts